• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Another PA-10 FTE, and maybe a clue

gunwonk

I just bought a 2 year old PA-10 gen2, which fails to eject about 30% of the time.  (Full disclosure: I knew this and bought it anyway.  Figured between this forum and PSA's pretty hard line warranty, we'd get it working soon enough. ? )

This FTE looks like an empty case stuck in the ejection port, case head still inside; round 2 down there, bullet pointing into the chamber and case head still in the magazine, wedged pretty good.  Nothing really new here, but quite a mess.  You have to remove the mag, and expect 2 more items to drop out (one empty case, one unfired round. probably bent).  Extraction was good.  Ejection, not so much.  And then, of course, feeding the next round didn't work at all.  I didn't think to get a pic at the range, but you've probably all seen it before.

So, the clue:  long story short, I think the extractor has a sharp edge, or burr, that's holding onto the fired case when it should be letting go.  I've got the BCG apart, and the bolt out.  (Don't know anything about AR's, but my National Guard sister-in-law had parts all over the kitchen table in half a minute. ? )

Here's the longer story, and pics.  (This is my first post, don't know how to mix pics & text, or whether it's even possible on this board, hence the narrative.)

• #1 is the bolt face, clean and shined up for the pic.
  • #2 is an empty .308 case, hooked into the extractor, tilted out by the ejector, but not falling out.  (I think this shouldn't happen, it should fall right off.)
  • #3 is the same, except my finger has pulled the case mouth sideways to where the rim is out of engagement with the ejector, and the case is still not coming out of there.  (I'm pretty sure that should not happen.  The case feels quite stuck. ? )
  • #4 is the rim after I pulled the case out.  You can see it's had some of the brass scratched, or dug away, or whatever.
  • #5 is the bolt face "after", where you can see a little sliver of brass left in there. shaved off of somewhere.  I'm guessing the inside engagement surface of the case rim, of course.
  • #6 is another view of the same brass shaving, in case one or the other pic is easier to see.

Bottom line:  looks like the extractor has an edge or something, which is holding onto the case, preventing ejection, probably shouldn't be there.  Make sense?  Other ideas?  Thanks! ?

P.S. -- My PA-10 says, on the lower, that it's a "PS-10".  Dunno what's up with that.  Collector's item? Maybe speaks to how old it is?  (In case that helps with anything.)

IMG_20181206_171729.jpg

IMG_20181206_172232.jpg

IMG_20181206_172322.jpg

IMG_20181206_172026.jpg

IMG_20181206_171924.jpg

IMG_20181206_171924.jpg

If you carefully remove/radius the sharp ends on either side of the extractor hook you'll likely solve your ejection problem.

You are right on the money with your diagnosis, this exact issue, with some extractors, has been discussed before.

:thumbup:

Edited by 308kiwi