• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Relief grind on gas tube

Alan Waters

Just measured 0.181" on the inside of a gas key on a BCG, and 0.179" on two different gas tubes, at the widest point on their ends.  A 0.002" fit for the gas pressurization needed, on two pieces that are slamming together from inches apart, with violence, isn't too bad.  Just my opinion. The taper on both pieces makes sense, I think, considering that.

I fit piston ring end gap for piston rings in engines at 0.004" per inch of bore, on normally aspirated engines.  Up to 40% more ring end gap on turbo engines.  For piston-to-cylinder clearance, I go for 0.003" in difference.  They make power.  Same kinda thing here.

Edited by 98Z5V

303 Stainless.  Don't fall for anything less.  Seeing lots of 304 stainless gas tubes being offered now - don't believe the hype on that shiit.

303 doesn't work-harden with heat - that's the very reason that 303 is the spec for a gas tube. More sulphur in it than 304. 

But whatever.  Buy whatever you want, from whatever vendor you want.  No matter what the quality.  Or price. It's just a gas tube, right?...

Off this gas tube soap box now...

:soap: