• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Gas tube roll pin into gas block - HELP!

speeddreamz

I to save my life could not get the roll pin into the gas block/ gas tube.

The tube is aligned correctly from what I can tell, it will allow a smaller than 5/64th punch to drop right in between the gas block and the tube.

I've tried roll pin holders and roll pin punches of exactly the 5/64th size. I'm using a table vise with padded sides.

It goes in 3/4th of the way and won't come out the other side of the gas tube/gas block.

Have you tried installing the roll pin from the other side of the GB? Also, sometimes on especially tough ones I'll bevel the end of the pin slightly to help get it started into the second side of the GB after it passes though the first side and the gas tube. Also make sure that the bottom side of the gb (where the roll pin hole is) is fully supported.

I've had one low pro GB that gave me a lot of trouble. It was an adjustable one. The Noveske and Vltor GB's that Ive used have never given me any problems. I don't know what brand GB your using, but keep in mind, there is no gas passing through that roll pin hole so if needed you can slightly open up the hole in the gas tube, just enough to allow the pin to make it though the GB and GT. Sometimes the pin hole in the GB is not drilled exactly in the center of bore that takes the GT so if it looks like the cross drilled hole is low you can round the hole in the GT slightly on the bottom. Theres really not very much meat there so we're only talking about a couple of thousandths but if the roll pin hole in the gb is obviously mislocated by a lot, then you should send it back for a replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

tried beveling it... it goes thru but it doesn't seem like the gas block hole would line up with the tube... i'm a bit worried about that. It won't go all the way thru, just the tip

I Just had the same thing happen on Friday afternoon with a stag low profile . I used my roll pin starter...then it just kinda didnt feel right so i stopped tapping....pulled out the pin....checked the holes for lineup with a mini jewlers screwdriver....nope no go...got another fresh gas tube nah its perfect....ran a small punch through the gas block sure enough its drilled crooked...something like I would do  8)

so called up the vendor and he said this is the second one like that and he would send a different brand right on out...i told him i needed to go shootin and that im gonna drive the roll pin through the gb and the pin will  certainly bend and remain lodged in the gas tube...he said go for it and he would send a fresh gas tube too....it all worked out  Yippee

<thumbsup>  Wash