• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Back to the 308 platform and have a couple questions

dubya

Ok... knowing that, I can only come up with two ideas to try and figure it out.

1. try another stripped bolt to see if that works with the gauges properly. (if it does, great you have a winner... if not)

2. your barrel was not reamed properly and you will need to send it back.

8 hours ago, mrraley said:

Ok... knowing that, I can only come up with two ideas to try and figure it out.

1. try another stripped bolt to see if that works with the gauges properly. (if it does, great you have a winner... if not)

2. your barrel was not reamed properly and you will need to send it back.

Well, there's no sending this one back. I already cerakoted the barrel black

On 4/11/2019 at 2:51 PM, dubya said:

It's a Rainier Arms Match barrel and it has a modified 308 chamber proprietary to Rainier.

A few companies do this, and Fulton Armory comes immediately to mind, with the "match chamber."  It's not uncommon.  It's not even important in the .308ARs like it is with the .223 Wylde in the AR15s - THAT makes a difference, in AR15s.  In .308ARs, it's not much of a difference.

What you need to do here is call Rainier Arms, and that's why I highlighted that part above.  Ask them what gauges THEY use when checking headspace.  Not kidding on that part.  You can run regular 7.62 NATO gauges through a good barrel, and fail that brand new barrel.  You can run .308 Win gauges through a brand new barrel, and fail that one, too.  It depends more on the gauges that the barrel manufacturer uses, than anything else - and how tight they cut that thing to the "GO" gauge.  Another manufacturers GO gauge might be one-thou different, and it's not gonna work. 

You didn't feed a NO-GO gauge,with this set.  Here's what I'd do - lightly and slowly chamber a spent .308 WIn case.  If it closes on it, you're good.

Or, call Rainier, asks them what gauges they use, buy or find those gauges, and retest.  My $0.02 on it.  Calling Rainier, and finding out that info, though - that's priceless...   :thumbup:

Oh...  ignore everything you were told on that other place - that you left the link to...   There's a bunch of garbage in there, and I stopped reading it all before I got to that page 2.  Your ToolCraft BCG and bolt are fine - they make every BCG that leaves Aero Precision...  and alot more, for many, many other OEM manufacturers...

I did email Rainier a few days ago but haven't gotten a response yet. 

Since I cant sleep tonight I decided to see if a spent 308 case would chamber. I tried a couple I randomly picked out of a bag of brass I've been saving and they could have been shot out of my old PA10 or one of my buddies 308s. Either way, none would chamber. My forward assist doesnt work in the M5 upper so I also tried letting the bolt slam home, it still didnt chamber and I had to mortar it out.

Guess I'll be giving Rainier a call on Monday. The gun chambers factory 308 ammo but fails on a Clymer 1.630 GO guage. Now I wish I had bought the Faxon pencil barrel like I originally planned. 

On 4/16/2019 at 1:26 AM, 98Z5V said:

That might be the answer here.

Yes, I believe that may be. This is my response in a similar thread I have going on the other forum. 

So this is kind of interesting. I went shooting on Sunday and didnt bring my new 308 because my buddy said the 224 Valkyrie upper I built for him was having all sorts of feeding and extraction issues and I wanted to get that running for him (I cleaned the chamber and lubed the BCG and it ran perfect smiley_freak.gif). 

One of the other guns my friend brought was his somewhat new 18" PSA PA10 308. We put about 120 rounds of factory fresh Federal 308 ammo through it, on top of the 40 he shot in that gun previously. It ran nearly perfect with surprisingly decent accuracy. The only malfunctions were a spent case not being ejected quick enough before the next round tried to feed, that happened twice. I didn't notice any over pressure signs or blown primers in the spent brass, although I didn't check every single case either.

When we left he asked if I would store the rifles he brought until he and his family closed on their new house and settled in. No problem. Once I was home I took both mine and his ARs apart to clean and decided to check the headspace of his PA10 as well as my 308 with his bolt. His PSA BCG is nearly identical to my Toolcraft BCG. The only difference between the bolts and carriers is mine (Toolcraft) has a O-ring extractor and his (unbranded PSA) doesn't. 

Using his bolt in my gun I could get it to close more than my bolt on the GO guage but still not fully. Then, I checked the headspace of his factory assembled PA10 upper with both his bolt and mine. Both failed to close on the GO guage. I'm not exactly sure what to take away from this but his PA10 now has nearly 200 rounds of 308 through it and it failed a 1.630 GO guage. I'm going to shoot mine the next time we hit the range.