• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Are all 308 charging handles the same?

dubya

I've never seen a 308 charging handle listed as "DPMS pattern" or "Armalite pattern", is there actually any difference in them? 

I ask because I have a Aero M5E1 build I just ordered most of the parts for. The charging handle is a LMT LM308CA, basically just an extended latch CH that is made from a company I trust and it was also only $50. 

On another forum I'm on it seems like nobody is too sure if there's any difference in 308 CHs. If all else fails I will find out first hand later this week when parts arrive. 

A member on ARFCOM confirmed the LMT will work in the Aero M5. I'm pretty happy considering it was $40 less than just about all the other extended latch charging handles and coming from LMT I wont have to worry about quality. 

• 5 weeks later...
15 hours ago, SimonSays said:

Thanks for the report but I have to ask...

what did you have to mod and do you have any pics?

If you look at a picture of the LMT 308 CH it has these two "ears" that stick down from the bottom of the handle. The ears hit the receiver and stops the CH from fully closing.

At first I hand filed until it worked but it looked crappy so I sanded it smooth on my belt sander, refinished the bottom with black ceramic paint and all is good now. It essentially looks like a standard charging handle with an extended latch now