• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First Build....oh boy

Mhaire

So, I got talked into building a .308...like that was tough. The wife “loved” the idea 😂 

Anyway, my buddy Has built a few AR15’s so I’m willing to follow along. This is an 80% build. The parts That were recommended are:

LR-308 Noreen 80% - It comes with kit. A decent entry FCG; stock. Probably replace both later as money allows  

AreoPercision M5/ Fwrd Asst

SS 18” 1/10 & hanguard

It didn’t let me finish so I’ll start over!

So, I got talked into building a .308...like that was tough. The wife “loved” the idea 😂 

Anyway, my buddy Has built a few AR15’s so I’m willing to follow along. This is an 80% build. The parts That were recommended are:

LR-308 Noreen 80% - It comes with kit. A decent entry FCG; stock. Probably replace both later as money allows  

LR-308 AreoPercision M5/ Fwrd Asst

Iron-Nitride BCG/ Ambi Chg Hndl/ SS 18” 1/10 & hand guard

What I’m concerned about is the fit between the upper and lower.  I’ve seen the Noreen 80 and M5 listed together as a “sale kit” but the wording makes me wonder about their compatibility. When I do a search about it (the threads are several years old) but it says that there are some issues with the exterior look of the fit. Internals seem to be fine though which is really what matters.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

While I haven’t completed my first rifle yet I started out with an 80%. 

It really is true that you want an upper and lower from the same manufacturer for a finished look. While all the DPMS pattern parts are “compatible” the fit and finish will likely NOT be what you were after. Like I said I started with an 80 and then I had to find an upper that would aesthetically look good on it. I found one and with the measurements was 1mm off on each side. As much money as I was putting into this thing and the closest I could find was 2mm was not good enough for me. So I ended up ordering the matching serialized lower. I have a few 80% that I will keep for “future” governmental issues if the need ever arises (they’ll only get my serialized lower if it comes down to it) but any large frame build I am getting a matching set from now on. 

Got it, so if I continue down the path of no return....I should either just buy the matching AP M5 lower receiver or the matching Noreen Upper receiver; got it. As far as Frankenrifle...it's rained 60 inches since July of last year and they can't dig the foundation for my house yet. What else am I going to do?Got it, so if I continue down the path of no return....I should either just buy the matching AP M5 lower receiver or the matching Noreen Upper receiver; got it. As far as Frankenrifle...it's rained 60 inches since July of last year and they can't dig the foundation for my house yet. What else am I going to do?

Yeah man, we're all good. There's a plan in place...just not meant for us to get stated yet is all. It will happen. Just means I have other things to work on...like this build. 

I don't want to waste money either. Lord willing, I have time to work on it and projects are my life. That being said I also don't want to piss away time in the woods. 

As per Gundock...out of stock...

Aero just had the M5E1 builders set which included the upper, lower and a Quantum handguard on sale for $299. If you are a first time buyer from their site there is a coupon to take an additional 10% off your entire order and I believe free shipping. I think it's out of stock now though.