• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Switching from 20” to 16” barrel

Sambini

We need more details. 

A carbine buffer/receiver extension (buffer tube) does not mean you need a carbine length gas tube.  You might, but they are independent of each other.

If you post a list of your rifle's current specs and what you are trying to get or change to, it can help to avoid spending money on parts you can't use.  308ARs are not all the same and some part will interchange but many will not.

Do yourself a favor and do NOT buy a 16" barrel with a carbine length gas system. 16" is a great 308AR barrel length, but gas port should be mid-length at the shortest IMO and get an adjustable gas block.

Edited by Fletch

You're about to get a dozen different opinions. Brace yourself. Carbine buffer tube is if you want a short collapsible stock. If you haven't ordered the barrel, I agree that a mid length gas is probably a better option. I have rifle length on my 16 and love it. However, some will say one over the other for different reasons. Post up what you have, what you want to have, and what you plan to do with it. 

Edited by DNP