• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PA-10 Assembly Commencement

Hello gents!

I am acquiring all of my desired components for a PA-10 assembly. I am extremely excited, as this is my first "I'm a big boy" AR... ...Well, besides my .50 Beowulf...!

I ordered an 18" A2 SS basic upper / kit ($349.00 shipped), & a stripped PA-10 lower (79.99 shipped) from PSA last month, & have been slowly accumulating parts to assemble it into a more preferred (well, hopefully) configuration...

So far, some of what I've ordered:

Armalite AR-10 buffer tube assy,

12.06" 304 SS AR-10 gas tube,

Superlative Arms .750" adjustable GB,

DPMS low pattern 17" m-lok FF rail,

Breek Arms SS brake/comp & ambi charging handle,

Phase 5 Tactical EBR.308V2,

Full ambi mag (Norgon) & selector parts for the lower.

In addition to the adjustable gas block, I ordered a #46 (0.081"), & (0.0846") drill bits to open up the gas port...

Am I on the right track...?

Thank you very kindly in advance to 98Z5V!

Edited by KAC-SR-25-EMCARBINE

P.S... PSA still is mucking things up it seems...

So far I've found that my Lower build kit has a 7.25" buffer tube, an 11-5/8" buffer spring, & a 2.5" (3.82oz) buffer.

Going to also be interesting when I go to install the FF rail & pull the A2 FSB to see what we're working with in regards to the gas port...

2 hours ago, KAC-SR-25-EMCARBINE said:

P.S... PSA still is mucking things up it seems...

So far I've found that my Lower build kit has a 7.25" buffer tube, an 11-5/8" buffer spring, & a 2.5" (3.82oz) buffer.

Going to also be interesting when I go to install the FF rail & pull the A2 FSB to see what we're working with in regards to the gas port...

You're on the right track with that first post, and thank you for the thank you. Means more than you know.  :thumbup:

Is that the internal depth of your receiver extension, that they sent you?!...  

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

You're on the right track with that first post, and thank you for the thank you. Means more than you know.  :thumbup:

Is that the internal depth of your receiver extension, that they sent you?!...  

Whoops! I should have been much more specific!

The internal depth of the buffer tube, is 7" total. Measured to the edge of the buffer retainer's, retainer lip.

Thank you for the vote of confidence, & for all of the hard work you've put into sorting these rifles out for current & future users!

3 minutes ago, KAC-SR-25-EMCARBINE said:

The internal depth of the buffer tube, is 7" total. Measured to the edge of the buffer retainer's, retainer lip.

Okay, that CAN work.  With the right buffer and buffer spring.  That spring you listed...  junk.  The buffer you listed is too light (3.8oz and should hit on or right near 5.4oz). 

4 hours ago, KAC-SR-25-EMCARBINE said:

You stated you already have the Armalite AR-10 buffer tube assembly on order - is that the complete AR-10 Carbine Recoil System?  Or just the receiver extension (buffer tube) ?.

Is it this, here?:

https://www.armalite.com/product/ar10rekit01-6-position-receiver-extension-kit/

6 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Okay, that CAN work.  With the right buffer and buffer spring.  That spring you listed...  junk.  The buffer you listed is too light (3.8oz and should hit on or right near 5.4oz). 

You stated you already have the Armalite AR-10 buffer tube assembly on order - is that the complete AR-10 Carbine Recoil System?  Or just the receiver extension (buffer tube) ?.

Is it this, here?:

https://www.armalite.com/product/ar10rekit01-6-position-receiver-extension-kit/

Yep! The whole kit, model #: AR10REKIT01

Armalite correct carbine length gas tube was OOS when I ordered. Therefore, I ordered a 12.06" 304SS .308 tube from Dark Storm Industries.

Don't even sweat what PSA sent you for that recoil system then. Save that 7.000" internal extension for an AR-15 build in the future, and you can salvage four parts from the buffer that you were sent - you can save the buffer bumper and roll pin as a spare, and you can keep the two tungsten weights that are inside to convert a standard AR-15 buffer over to an H2 buffer later. The buffer body - smash it with a hammer and enjoy the satisfaction, and throw that spring away...  JMHO...   :thumbup:

3 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Don't even sweat what PSA sent you for that recoil system then. Save that 7.000" internal extension for an AR-15 build in the future, and you can salvage four parts from the buffer that you were sent - you can save the buffer bumper and roll pin as a spare, and you can keep the two tungsten weights that are inside to convert a standard AR-15 buffer over to an H2 buffer later. The buffer body - smash it with a hammer and enjoy the satisfaction, and throw that spring away...  JMHO...   :thumbup:

Yep! As soon as I first opened the kit, I was thinking, "Well, I have some shiny new AR-15 parts for my next next next in line build!" 🤣

In regards to the gas port, do I even bother with the 0.081" (#46) bit, or just jump to the 0.0846" bit? Would I need to go any larger than the 0.0846"?

Thank you once again!

16 hours ago, KAC-SR-25-EMCARBINE said:

In regards to the gas port, do I even bother with the 0.081" (#46) bit, or just jump to the 0.0846" bit? Would I need to go any larger than the 0.0846"?

0.081" should run the gun on any decent ammo.  I went 0.085" on one I was working on, just in case any ammo was needed, even inexpensive steel-cased foreign ammo. 

Now, the other side of that mentality - you can run 0.085" just fine on yours, based on the adjustable gas block you're gonna use.  Go Big or Go Home!...   Drill it to the 0.085" and if you want to tame it down, you have that capability through the adjustable gas block.  Justmake sure you realize this right now - brand new build, brand new parts need to carbon-seal, through carbon fouling.  Run the AGB in the wide open setting while you're breaking in the gun, and letting the carbon fouling seal the gas block-to-barrel, and gas-tube-to-gas-block. 

Edited by 98Z5V

37 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

0.081" should run the gun on any decent ammo.  I went 0.085" on one I was working on, just in case any ammo was needed, even inexpensive steel-cased foreign ammo. 

Now, the other side of that mentality - you can run 0.085" just fine on yours, based on the adjustable gas block you're gonna use.  Go Big or Go Home!...   Drill it to the 0.085" and if you want to tame it down, you have that capability through the adjustable gas block.  Justmake sure you realize this right now - brand new build, brand new parts need to carbon-seal, through carbon fouling.  Run the AGB in the wide open setting while you're breaking in the gun, and letting the carbon fouling seal the gas block-to-barrel, and gas-tube-to-gas-block. 

Roger that! Fouling creating a seal, was something I was already aware of (thanks to your previous posts)!

6 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Roger that! Fouling creating a seal, was something I was already aware of (thanks to your previous posts)!

I received my gas tube from Dark Storm Industries... It pays to read. They sent me an AR-15 midlength gas tube instead of the .308 midlength. The part numbers are one character off, so someone was just being rushed, or careless when fulfilling my order. Also, it was only sent in a bubble mailer. Yikes! I called them yesterday & sw/ an employee whom said he would have his boss look over my order & have him call me today to rectify things.

Here's hoping they get/make it right...!

You can just buy it from Armalite.  AR-10 Carbine Gas Tube, part # 10007005.  Shows out of stock on the website, but call them on the phone and ask if they have any. I scored 2x Carbine tubes and a Rifle tube - that were out of stock on their website - by calling and asking if they had any.  I live close, so I picked them up that day. 

LOCAL: 623-780-1050
TOLL FREE: 800-336-0184

Edited by 98Z5V

On 6/26/2019 at 10:29 PM, KAC-SR-25-EMCARBINE said:

Yep! The whole kit, model #: AR10REKIT01

Armalite correct carbine length gas tube was OOS when I ordered. Therefore, I ordered a 12.06" 304SS .308 tube from Dark Storm Industries.

Thanks for the tip on Dark Storm Industries, I just ordered the correct length gas tube from there as well, no one else had the correct tube. Have a Superlative arms adjustable gas block on the way, when it shows up the whole gun is coming apart to get painted FDE, and will install the block, and tube at that time. Good luck with your build Sir!

1 hour ago, JMason5067 said:

Thanks for the tip on Dark Storm Industries, I just ordered the correct length gas tube from there as well, no one else had the correct tube. Have a Superlative arms adjustable gas block on the way, when it shows up the whole gun is coming apart to get painted FDE, and will install the block, and tube at that time. Good luck with your build Sir!

Awesome! You got the correct buffer assy as well, I presume?

Glad you were able to track one down! I just hope they send you the correct tube the first time, & that it was well packaged! The first (incorrect) tube they sent me, came only in a bubble mailer... WHAAAAT...?!? Whoever that employee was, needs an evaluation! The second came expertly packaged, in an actual box...😂

I just ordered a Primary Arms 3-18x50 ACSS HUD DMR .308, a QD mount & a Magpul ACS stock for mine today!

I still need my drill stops for the tiny gas port drill bits. The machine shop I ordered them from had the last week off for the 4th, which is awesome for them! I also need the proper barrel nut wrench to remove the PA-10 delta ring, which I have already ordered from MidwayUSA.

Only things I need to complete my build, barring any unforeseen complications, are a anti-cant scope level, & a Savvy Sniper sling, which I run on all of my tactical guns... I'm inching closer to breaking out the tools & parts & start assembling...!

2 hours ago, KAC-SR-25-EMCARBINE said:

Awesome! You got the correct buffer assy as well, I presume?

I did, 7 inch tube, replaced the spring and the H2 Buffer with an H3.

Glad you were able to track one down! I just hope they send you the correct tube the first time, & that it was well packaged! The first (incorrect) tube they sent me, came only in a bubble mailer... WHAAAAT...?!? Whoever that employee was, needs an evaluation! The second came expertly packaged, in an actual box...😂

I ordered a couple 10 round mags as well, it showed up in a box,  it is a 12.06 inch .308 gas tube.

I just ordered a Primary Arms 3-18x50 ACSS HUD DMR .308, a QD mount & a Magpul ACS stock for mine today!

Mine is a Vortex diamondback, I like it so far.

I still need my drill stops for the tiny gas port drill bits. The machine shop I ordered them from had the last week off for the 4th, which is awesome for them! I also need the proper barrel nut wrench to remove the PA-10 delta ring, which I have already ordered from MidwayUSA.

Only things I need to complete my build, barring any unforeseen complications, are a anti-cant scope level, & a Savvy Sniper sling, which I run on all of my tactical guns... I'm inching closer to breaking out the tools & parts & start assembling...!

On 7/7/2019 at 4:55 PM, KAC-SR-25-EMCARBINE said:

I still need my drill stops for the tiny gas port drill bits.

Just stick a 1/4" wooden dowel down the barrel, and stop when you hit the wood.  If you drill with light pressure, you won't hit the other side anyway.   :thumbup:

EDIT - if you drill with heavy pressure, you're gonna break that skinny drill bit off in your barrel's gas port...

Edited by 98Z5V

4 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Just stick a 1/4" wooden dowel down the barrel, and stop when you hit the wood.  If you drill with light pressure, you won't hit the other side anyway.   :thumbup:

EDIT - if you drill with heavy pressure, you're gonna break that skinny drill bit off in your barrel's gas port...

Thanks for the awesome idea! As usual, I am waaaaay over-thinking things... 😭🤣

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2019 at 10:09 PM, 98Z5V said:

I picked up an oak dowel to drill out my gas port the other day...

So, when I go to reconfigure the upper... High speed, light pressure??

I'm going to utilize the drill stop, because why not, right...?