• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

6.5 CM Barrels

TeleStratMan

4 minutes ago, TeleStratMan said:

Aero Precision 

Ballistic Advantage

Wilson Combat

Aero Precision and Ballistic Advantage barrels - are all Ballistic Advantage barrels.  Don't leave Faxon out of the mix, though. BA, Faxon, and WC are what I would have recommended. 

Rifle +2, don't do that on a 20" barrel, if that's the way you're leaning.  20" doesn't benefit from Rifle +2, and we've seen one here that didn't work.  Had to up the gas port size because of it...  It's a Dwell Time thing.  22" and 24" can benefit from R+2 gas systems, and soften the recoil.  It mitigates the longer Dwell Time that a Rifle gas system on such a long barrel would have, which would increase how harsh it feels...   But, it's still 6.5 Creedmoor, so it's not gonna kick you like .308 Win would... 

5 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

A Criterion or a Fulton Armory barrel would also be a very excellent choice, right up there with the other 3 I mentioned above. 

Thanks for all the info. I will take a look at the Criterion Barrels.

Could I use an adjustable gas block to compensate for the lack of a longer gas system?

Edited by TeleStratMan
more info

17 minutes ago, TeleStratMan said:

Thanks for all the info. I will take a look at the Criterion Barrels.

Could I use an adjustable gas block to compensate for the lack of a longer gas system?

Everything comes down to "what's your intention for the rifle?"  You haven't explained that yet, and that drives the whole train... 

With a 6.5 Creedmoor, you can crush 500 yards with a 16" barrel.  I have a 20" barrel on my .260 Remington build (the theoretical twin that 6.5 Creedmoor came from), and my handload is supersonic to 1500 yards.  So far, it's laser accurate at 845 yards, repeatable, and I've had it at 1000 and 1100 yards very, very effectively. If 500 yards is the ultimate goal, you don't need 22 or 24 inches of barrel to lug around. 

Are you hunting 500 yards, or punching paper and banging steel at 500 yards?

57 minutes ago, TeleStratMan said:

My "lug around" rifle is a 6.5 Grendel with 20 inch barrel.

Back to the original question :  Adjustable Gas Block or Not? 

A properly balanced gas system and recoil system will not need an adjustable gas block.  That changes if you are shooting suppressed.

6 hours ago, TeleStratMan said:

My "lug around" rifle is a 6.5 Grendel with 20 inch barrel.

Back to the original question :  Adjustable Gas Block or Not? 

That would be an easy answer, but I asked you something else.  Never got an answer from you about this:

13 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

With a 6.5 Creedmoor, you can crush 500 yards with a 16" barrel.  I have a 20" barrel on my .260 Remington build (the theoretical twin that 6.5 Creedmoor came from), and my handload is supersonic to 1500 yards.  So far, it's laser accurate at 845 yards, repeatable, and I've had it at 1000 and 1100 yards very, very effectively. If 500 yards is the ultimate goal, you don't need 22 or 24 inches of barrel to lug around. 

Are you hunting 500 yards, or punching paper and banging steel at 500 yards?

^^^