• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Quick range report

RedRiverII

Finally made it to the range.  It's a good thing I went to break in the barrels as the 600 yd range was locked up.  Used the PSA 10 as issued or bought.  No problems with it,  other than it kicks just shy of a Garand.  I bought along a RRA 223 and it's ejecting 1 o'clock.  It works as well,  not to my liking,  but that'll work itself out.  I had a youngster with me,  more about that later.  I need to tame the 308 as firing from the shoulder brings back fond memories and old pains.  I finally used the lessons learned from a lifetime and was on paper immediately.  Knowing I could only focus on my front site helped immensely.  For the life of me I couldn't figure that out for far too long.  The target is always going to be fuzzy,  the front site is important.

After packing the car for about a half hour I had to call it quits.  Knowing I was going to forget stuff relieved me of some compulsion.  Things I forgot,  open chamber indicator,  30 cal brushes,  water and cooler,  camera,  spotting scope stand,  and hand cleaner.

On the ride home,  a 1 1/2 hr run, I noticed my nephew was conking out.  I had my anatomy handed to me,  between the heat, and sun,  and excitement.  I asked if he was tired, and at 24 yrs old he said he was pooped.  That's good news because I thought I was tired because of my age 67.  It's good to know I'm still hanging tough in spite of retirement.  OOO rah!

Edited by RedRiverII

12 hours ago, RedRiverII said:

Used the PSA 10 as issued or bought.  No problems with it,  other than it kicks just shy of a Garand.   I need to tame the 308 as firing from the shoulder brings back fond memories and old pains. 

You know what to do to that one.  It's all listed here.   On that .223 Rem, what buffer is in it?  .223s are easy to change ejection pattern on, and calm a little, with just a buffer change.