• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Building with Gray Ghost Upper and Lower

ANG Pilot

Newbie here. I have a Gray Ghost Gen II upper and lower receiver set that I'd like to build up and - never having built an AR before - I'd like some advice on how to go about it. I'm interested in accuracy rather than light weight, rifle length barrel rather than carbine, and I'm not particularly price sensitive. Having said that, I have a bias towards piston guns vs DI. I realize that's a matter of contention as regards accuracy and if there's a significant difference I'm certainly willing to consider DI.

Any ideas on barrel manufacturers and matching bolt carriers? I just saw some info on a new NEMO reduced recoil carrier that looked interesting.

Thanks.

You're the guinea pig in this one - nobody here has ever built one yet.  Let's get it on.

DPMS high-profile rail, so start searching that out.

As far as barrel manufacturers - you haven't even mentioned the caliber yet. There are very, very few piston guns in the large frame format - and when there are, it's usually complete rifles - not component parts.  Finding a stand-alone piston system that you can bolt on to a large-frame AR - good luck. Better get used to a DI system - they work, very, very well.

My two cents,  I have a Sig P716 piston gun and a DI gun built with the exact same barrel and bolt. Hands down the DI gun is a better gun, lighter, softer shooting, and more reliable. I am not a good enough shot to discerene any accuracy difference. I just can't find any advantage to the piston version.

jtallen83...Thanks for the input. I'm finding going the DI route would be the easiest for this build. It seems like it's the most common build and there's better parts selection. I was initially leaning towards a piston gun because all my other 308's are piston guns, but they're not AR pattern rifles.

Cheers