• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Scopes

Finishing up an AR-10 in 7mm-08.  I'll use the rifle to hunt so I want to keep the weight down.  With that being said -  any particular scopes popular with the community?  Not looking to take any shots longer than 500 (inside 300 is more likely) yards and deer is about the smallest critter I plan to aim this one at.

Regards,

Mike

2 hours ago, mchljrdn said:

Finishing up an AR-10 in 7mm-08.  I'll use the rifle to hunt so I want to keep the weight down.  With that being said -  any particular scopes popular with the community?  Not looking to take any shots longer than 500 (inside 300 is more likely) yards and deer is about the smallest critter I plan to aim this one at.

Regards,

Mike

Two recommendations, man - Oh, and I'm a little jealous. I've tripped myself into a 7mm-08 build, sometime in the future, and I cannot avoid it or duck it.  It must be done...

You can't use a BDC scope from anybody, because of the caliber.  Run a mil-dot scope, so you can figure out your dope/drop at your distances, and then you can either dial it, or just hold it.  I have two scope for you, and one is gonna come with a higher recommendation over the other.

Primary Arms 4-14 mil-dot.  Selling price is $229 from Primary Arms.  It's a basic mil-dot scope, but very nice quality - the clicks on the turrets are good, the glass is good, and it won't fail you.  It's First Focal Plane.  It's a great basic scope, that will get the job done.  Here's a link to it:

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-4-14x44mm-riflescope-mil-dot-pa4-14xffp

Here's it's reticle:

PA4-14XFFP_17.jpg?resizeid=7&resizeh=0&r

With a 7mm-08, even at 500 yards, you have 5 mils of hold with that reticle, and a 7mm-08 isn't gonna drop 5 mils at 500 yards - it's gonna be less.  So this scope will work for holds at distances to that range, at least.  I have 3 or 4 of these scopes, and like them alot.  I won't be selling them, no way.

Next, and my higher recommendation, which goes to the Athlon Optics Talos BTR 4-14 scope, with the APLR2 reticle.  Now, this is basically the exact same scope as the Primary Arms 4-14 above, but it's price is higher because it's got a GREAT illuminated reticle.  I only have one of these scopes right now, but I'll be buying ALOT more of them. It's MSRP is $375, but street price is right around $300.

Here's a link to it:

https://athlonoptics.com/product/rifle-scopes-talos-btr-4-14x44-aplr-ffp-ir-mil/

Here's it's illuminated reticle - click that pic to make it bigger:

APLR2-FFP-IR-MIL-PWR-414.png

That Athlon above will be WAY more accurate at ranging distances (even of deer), and the illuminated reticle will help with dusk and dawn light.  I love my PA mil-dots, but I won't be buying any more of them - I'll be buying these Athlons instead.  :thumbup:

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Two recommendations, man - Oh, and I'm a little jealous. I've tripped myself into a 7mm-08 build, sometime in the future, and I cannot avoid it or duck it.  It must be done...

You can't use a BDC scope from anybody, because of the caliber.  Run a mil-dot scope, so you can figure out your dope/drop at your distances, and then you can either dial it, or just hold it.  I have two scope for you, and one is gonna come with a higher recommendation over the other.

Primary Arms 4-14 mil-dot.  Selling price is $229 from Primary Arms.  It's a basic mil-dot scope, but very nice quality - the clicks on the turrets are good, the glass is good, and it won't fail you.  It's First Focal Plane.  It's a great basic scope, that will get the job done.  Here's a link to it:

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-4-14x44mm-riflescope-mil-dot-pa4-14xffp

Here's it's reticle:

PA4-14XFFP_17.jpg?resizeid=7&resizeh=0&r

With a 7mm-08, even at 500 yards, you have 5 mils of hold with that reticle, and a 7mm-08 isn't gonna drop 5 mils at 500 yards - it's gonna be less.  So this scope will work for holds at distances to that range, at least.  I have 3 or 4 of these scopes, and like them alot.  I won't be selling them, no way.

Next, and my higher recommendation, which goes to the Athlon Optics Talos BTR 4-14 scope, with the APLR2 reticle.  Now, this is basically the exact same scope as the Primary Arms 4-14 above, but it's price is higher because it's got a GREAT illuminated reticle.  I only have one of these scopes right now, but I'll be buying ALOT more of them. It's MSRP is $375, but street price is right around $300.

Here's a link to it:

https://athlonoptics.com/product/rifle-scopes-talos-btr-4-14x44-aplr-ffp-ir-mil/

Here's it's illuminated reticle - click that pic to make it bigger:

APLR2-FFP-IR-MIL-PWR-414.png

Thanks for the advice.  I'd been looking at the scopes below - I'll take a look at Athlons.  I had toyed with buying one  Leupold's CDS scopes.  I have used my share of VX-3ii for sure.

Leupold Patrol VX-R 3-9x40 with FireDot TMR
15.3oz 12.6"

Primary Arms SLx3.5 4-14X44mm FFP Rifle Scope - Illuminated R-Grid 2B Reticle
25.2oz 13"

Sightron SIII 3.5-10x44mm Rifle Scope
22oz 13.1"

The Leup with the FireDot, is still just a 4-dot mil-dot scope (my mistake, it's the TMR reticle, but still basic mils). I have one, love it, in 1.5-4 power.  That PA R-GRID 2B is a GREAT scope, at $280.  However, the only thing illuminated is the center dot.  For a $300 street-price, that Athlon I listed has the whole grid illuminated.  If you're shooting at night, or in limited vis - that really, really makes a huge difference.

Here's where a full illuminated grid makes a difference - and how we all here, found out that it makes a difference.  Targets at night, or very limited visibility, and even a mild wind.  Targets are 100 yards, 300 yards, and 450 yards.  A 3mph wind, and you can't see your grid to hold for it...  then you're not hitting that 450...

217212141_Nighttargets100-300-450.jpeg.48b6fbcaf8c7b2d1ea17e289408520bd.jpeg

Edited by 98Z5V