• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

How much mass are you moving?

Wessir

I just got a nickel boron bcg and it isn't the same weight as my nitride bcg. 

I don't have an adjustable gas block yet so it was running open on a .092" gas hole with a 4.8 ounce buffer. I use ammo from 145 grain up to 180 grain. Cycling seemed ok but I can't tell if bottoms out (over gassed). It always locks back on empty magazine.

Gas tube is rifle length 15.125" on the 20" barrel. 7" dwell.

Nickel boron bcg is 1 pound, 2.5 ounces.

Nitride bcg is 1 pound, 2 ounces.

4.5" of travel on the JP silent captured assy. The bolt clears the bolt catch by a good 1/2" before bottoming out. I use the heavy JP spring (yellow/red).

What is the weight of your bcg and buffer? Length of gas tube/dwell? Does it run light and heavy grain bullets equally well? Did you have to change the buffer spring and weight to get there?

Buffer Weight.jpg

BCG Weight Nickel Boron.jpg

BCG Weight Nitride.jpg

Gas Hole.jpg

Barrel Length.jpg

Gas Tube Length.jpg

Buffer Assembly.jpg

Compressed BCG.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 6:31 PM, edgecrusher said:

You aren’t over gassed, your buffer is too light. At a minimum it should be 5.4oz. Those silent capture springs should be run with an adjustable gas block, otherwise they aren’t quite enough 

and here we go, waiting on a couple of heavy buffers myself!

Great day on the range! I bought this JP Enterprises 2 piece adjustable gas block. I have a one piece adjustable gas block on my AR15 and it definitely works but you can't see inside it and you have to take the muzzle brake off to take the gas block off so I wanted a two piece so I can clean this without removing the muzzle brake. The JP two piece has a detent instead of a brass locking screw so that's a major plus. You hear it and feel it click click click every 1/4 turn. You can see it is easily adjusted through the side of my handguard. I set it at 3.75 turns for the Nickel Boron BCG and two Tungsten weights on the silent capture spring. You can see that gas block opening is reduced about 40% at that setting. I have the 3 spring builder pack and all 3 work the same, I can't tell any difference and didn't need to change the gas adjustment when switching between the different springs. I'm running the heaviest of the three because I think it helps to slam the bolt closed a little more reliably. Just guessing though I really can't tell one from the other.

Today it cycled perfectly on Tula Steel case 150 grain, 145 grain FMJ NATO 7.61, and 180 grain Remington Core-Lokt. 

Like butter.

I'm still curious how much mass others are moving. I'm scratching my head about the new trendy mass reductions to supposedly reduce recoil.

JP3.jpg

JP1.jpg

jp2.jpg

2 hours ago, Wessir said:

Great day on the range! I bought this JP Enterprises 2 piece adjustable gas block. I have a one piece adjustable gas block on my AR15 and it definitely works but you can't see inside it and you have to take the muzzle brake off to take the gas block off so I wanted a two piece so I can clean this without removing the muzzle brake. The JP two piece has a detent instead of a brass locking screw so that's a major plus. You hear it and feel it click click click every 1/4 turn. You can see it is easily adjusted through the side of my handguard. I set it at 3.75 turns for the Nickel Boron BCG and two Tungsten weights on the silent capture spring. You can see that gas block opening is reduced about 40% at that setting. I have the 3 spring builder pack and all 3 work the same, I can't tell any difference and didn't need to change the gas adjustment when switching between the different springs. I'm running the heaviest of the three because I think it helps to slam the bolt closed a little more reliably. Just guessing though I really can't tell one from the other.

Today it cycled perfectly on Tula Steel case 150 grain, 145 grain FMJ NATO 7.61, and 180 grain Remington Core-Lokt. 

Like butter.

I'm still curious how much mass others are moving. I'm scratching my head about the new trendy mass reductions to supposedly reduce recoil.

JP3.jpg

JP1.jpg

jp2.jpg

That's what we like to hear, good diagnostics have and a two piece gas block have you in business, congrats Wessir!