• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First Time New Build

TheEstimator

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

You live in Texas.  Nobody is keeping track of you, for buying a gun.  Nobody. 

That's not completely true.  I gave my FFL up back in '12 when a lot of the new reporting rules came into effect.  There is a rule on the books that states if you purchase 2 or more semi-automatic guns larger than .22 caliber within a 30 day period your name, DL number, Gun Make, Model, and Serial numbers are listed on a form and sent in triplicate 1 to your local CLEO, 1 to the ATF, and 1 to the FBI.

Even if you have your concealed carry permit and no background check is required your FFL is still required to submit the report.

15 minutes ago, TheEstimator said:

That's not completely true.  I gave my FFL up back in '12 when a lot of the new reporting rules came into effect.  There is a rule on the books that states if you purchase 2 or more semi-automatic guns larger than .22 caliber within a 30 day period your name, DL number, Gun Make, Model, and Serial numbers are listed on a form and sent in triplicate 1 to your local CLEO, 1 to the ATF, and 1 to the FBI.

Even if you have your concealed carry permit and no background check is required your FFL is still required to submit the report.

That's Southwest Border Rules ONLY - and ONLY for Texas, New Mexico, Arizona.  Cali doesn't count - because you already can't buy that many guns a month in Cali.

That all came up DURING Operation GunWalker.     And that's Long Guns, ONLY.  Not pistols, or "Other" - which is stripped lower receivers.  Complete Long Guns, ONLY. They (BATFE) enacted that one to track the guns they were walking along the SW Border, INTO Mexico - for complete Long Guns.  Only reason that's even a rule - and it's still there...It was only there, "brand new made up Rule" - to try to identify Straw Purchasers, easier, by using Gun Shops to tip them off early.

So, buy your ONE gun THIS month, if you're pananoid about it - but don't try to throw that "gave up my FFL" and toss rules at me over it.  What you're saying is true, but it needs to be taken in context, and you're taking it out of context.  

Edited by 98Z5V

But I am  :paranoid:

So I'll be sticking with the 80% lowers.  I have no issue purchasing full kits or completed uppers.  I don't even particularly care about the build process itself other than I'm bored and I want to.  I own a ghost gunner, and I've done a couple of AR-15 80% and some of the 80% polys just never the 308.  80% is the one condition I am stuck on.  Everything else is negotiable.

On 12/18/2020 at 8:34 AM, TheEstimator said:

I've ordered a Ghost Gunner 3 and will be using it to complete the lower.

9 minutes ago, TheEstimator said:

I own a ghost gunner, and I've done a couple of AR-15 80% and some of the 80% polys just never the 308.

On Friday, you said you'd ordered it.  You received it already?!  And you've done a couple AR-15s and 80% polys, with it?  You implied that...

Get the real info out, man.  This is turning into a bullshiit thread real quick.  Plus, you're an engineer, a former FFL Holder...

Go rip the Intro Section up, and REALLY tell us about yourself.  In every post you make, something new comes out.

Here's the Intro Section, where you can spill your beans, all in one post. 

https://forum.308ar.com/forum/22-introductions/

I'm gonna add this in here, just to make it very clear. Here's the ATF "Rule" on 2-or-more Long Guns, that started in 2011, DURING GunWalker.

In addition, because long guns have become Mexican cartels’ “weapons of choice,”

11 in 2011 ATF began requiring FFLs in four states along the Mexican border (Arizona, California, New Mexico, and Texas) to report multiple sales of certain semiautomatic rifles.12 More specifically, the reporting requirement applies to semiautomatic rifles with a caliber greater than .22 and the ability to accept a detachable magazine.13 FFLs who are dealers or pawnbrokers must report to ATF whenever they sell or transfer two or more such weapons to the same person at one time or during any five consecutive business days.14

The federal reporting requirements have helped ATF combat gun trafficking. According to the US Department of Justice, “multiple sales reports provide ATF with timely, actionable leads that can enable it to more quickly identify suspected firearms traffickers and disrupt their operations.”15

That "14" and "15" footnote that is quoted is this right here:

US Dept of Justice, Office of the Inspector General, Review of ATF’s Project Gunrunner 36 (November 2010), at www.justice.gov/oig/reports/ATF/e1101.pdf. According to ATF officials, “information ATF is able to maintain on certain firearms purchases, such as information on some multiple firearms purchases, enables ATF to more quickly trace those firearms if they turn up in crime because the information is already entered into a searchable database.” US Gov’t Accountability Office, Firearms Trafficking: US Efforts to Combat Arms Trafficking to Mexico Face Planning and Coordination Challenges 25 (June 2009), at http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-09-709.

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Here's the Intro Section, where you can spill your beans, all in one post.

Thank you, for the intro.  Now, we know what we're working with here.  "Background in engineering" is not "Engineer," and rarely would any Engineering Degree even involve firearms in the first place.  

I'm not gonna dog you anymore - but we need real, clear truth here, in what we're dealing with - in order to determine what you're trying to do with your gun.  It's only about the gun here - not all that you want to be, what you are, what you did in a past life - that might have nothing to do with firearms...   etc.  If you ditched your FFL over that new reporting rule that they made in 2011, and you dropped it in 2012 - chances are that you were never an FFL and dealt with the shiit after Sandy Hook, which was 17 Dec 2012.  The ramifications of that were felt throughout the gun community starting the following Monday, when O'ButtFuck stated he was gonna do something about it.  About 9am that day. 

As a FFL-Holder, what was your experience with AR in general, and .308ARs in specific?  About that timeframe, .308ARs were nowhere NEAR as popular as they are now.  I'm just asking...   I stated that I'd let it go, and not ask,nor dog you anymore...My fault...  I apologize...

I was an FFL you can do a corporate wiki search and look me up.  I gave you enough info to verify.  I did drop the FFL in Sept of 12 after the business sold so I did not deal with the fall out of Sandy Hook.  

The sum total of my experience with an AR 308 is my POF.  That's it.  That's why I came here; for the info.  I find that most user forums tend to have the practical knowledge of the products they are fans of.  This group seams to be no different.  It has it''s users that are looking to share info and those looking to pick fights.  It's about average in that respect.

Now as for the the final build.  I plan to take all of the information here digest it, work through the issues and build the guns I want at the end of the process.  I'll share the build choices and decisions made and the ramifications of those decisions.  I expect that everyone will do the same with my final build product.  I have different end goals here.

1. 80% lower with matching upper receiver - should be 7075 aluminum 

2. Capable of 1 MOA groups (sub MOA groups would be nice, but I'm not that good of a shooter)

3. Reliable

4. Lightweight as possible

That's the goals for the build.

18 hours ago, TheEstimator said:

That's why I came here; for the info.  I find that most user forums tend to have the practical knowledge of the products they are fans of.  This group seams to be no different.  It has it''s users that are looking to share info and those looking to pick fights.  It's about average in that respect.

You'll find out quickly, with enough research of information here, that I'm in the camp to SHARE info, and HELP people - unless I have to BEG information out of a person, or I think someone is a complete dickhead.  Thus far, we've begged information out of you.  

Search, check it for yourself - you'll see. 

You determine your road here, not anybody else. What you do is completely up to you.