• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First Time New Build

TheEstimator

I should introduce myself first.  I'm out of Houston and have built 3 AR-15's in the past.  I own 1 pof 308 gen 1 and love it.  I did the typical customizing to my POF but nothing special.  Fully dressed my POF weighs in at 9.5 lbs. I'm a decent shooter, but nothing to write home about.  

Build 1

Now I'm looking to build an AR-308 on the DPMS Gen 1 variant.  I would like the gun to be capable of 1 MOA, piston driven, and built with an 80% lower.  My goal is to keep it as light as possible.

My budget for the gun will be 3K. I can spend another 4K on glass and 1.5K on a Can.

I've ordered a Ghost Gunner 3 and will be using it to complete the lower.

My plan is to have it Cerakoted in ASAT

let's hear the ideas

Thanks

Adams arms makes one for a dpms gen 2 variety. But it is $600, you can only use their rails, and god only knows how well it will perform/last. 

There is probably a reason you don’t find a lot of 308ars with pistons and can only find one company making kits. Remember there is a lot more pressure running through these than ar15s. And you are probably not firing as many rounds as you would with an ar15 so the amount of carbon shouldn’t be that bad. Besides you would be surprised at the amount of carbon these guns can handle and still run. I get it would be easier to clean, but that’s why I like my nickel boron bcgs 

this is where @98Z5V comes in and says, “don’t complicate sh1t with complicated sh1t.”

It’s your rifle, so if you are set on a piston system, go for it. Just will create extra cost and might create extra problems. Either way, good luck and we will be here to help.

3 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

There should be Sig. 308 piston parts somewhere. They made 308 piston pistols that I know of. Not a great set up from what I have heard. They sold the barrels to CDNN. A bunch of us made impingement pistols out of the barrels.

Those all had "non-traditional" gas port locations, though - as we found out with the shorty barrels.  Even finding the parts, doesn't mean you could install them on a regular barrel, and make it work - not without repositioning the gas port location on whatever barrel you get/have.  No guarantees.

Gonna be "not easy" to get a custom-length op rod for one of those gas systems - not like us just getting White Oak to make us custom gas tubes, when we were converting them the other way, into a DI system.

12 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Those all had "non-traditional" gas port locations, though - as we found out with the shorty barrels.  Even finding the parts, doesn't mean you could install them on a regular barrel, and make it work - not without repositioning the gas port location on whatever barrel you get/have.  No guarantees.

Gonna be "not easy" to get a custom-length op rod for one of those gas systems - not like us just getting White Oak to make us custom gas tubes, when we were converting them the other way, into a DI system.

Oh but it would be fun to try.

The Ruger SR 7.62 is piston drive as is the Adams Arms rifle. AA is a fishy company id stay away from. The Ruger is a heavy beast and seems well made although mines not that accurate for some reason. just haven't used the right ammo yet. My AA jams often. Not a lot of offerings of pistons in the 308.

With your criteria id be looking at a 16” barrel and buying accessories based on weight. Adding a suppressor will add a bit of weight where you’ll feel it most. Glass and a bi pod, loaded up your looking at 13 lbs. Not too bad. 
One way to save weight that may be an option is to permanently attach your suppressor to the barrel and get a shorter barrel. I wouldn’t do it but it would keep weight down and length. Just throwing some ideas your way

So my initial thoughts are to go with the hell fire armory match upper and 80% lower (I'm open to other options)

https://www.hellfirearmory.com/AR-10-Parts/AR-10-Combo-Packs?product_id=90

I'm wanting to go with a titanium BCG (need some suggestions here)

drop in 1 stage trigger group (I'm used to shooting with one) - how are the CMC triggers vs the Geissele?

I'm looking at X-caliber barrels - any info would be appreciated here.  http://www.x-caliber.net/

on the handguard I'm completely open to suggestions.This is what i've found so far https://guntecusa.com/product/15-air-lite-series-m-lok-free-floating-handguard-with-monolithic-top-rail-308-cal/

My POF has a magul PRS stock and it was great, but way too heavy.  Do any of you have experience with this one? https://guntecusa.com/product/ar-308-cal-m-c-s-stock-multi-caliber-collapsible-stock-w-adjustable-cheek-riser/

For a can I've been reading the about the OSS helix and wanted to see what yall think. https://www.silencershop.com/catalog/product/view/id/4655/s/oss-hx-qd-762-ti/category/11/

11 hours ago, TheEstimator said:

1.  I'm wanting to go with a titanium BCG (need some suggestions here)

2.  drop in 1 stage trigger group (I'm used to shooting with one) - how are the CMC triggers vs the Geissele?

3.  I'm looking at X-caliber barrels - any info would be appreciated here.  http://www.x-caliber.net/

4.  on the handguard I'm completely open to suggestions.This is what i've found so far https://guntecusa.com/product/15-air-lite-series-m-lok-free-floating-handguard-with-monolithic-top-rail-308-cal/

1.  Why?  Don't try to build a Race Gun with fancy Race-Gun-parts, on your first attempt at building a .308AR.  It'll bite you right in the ass.  Use a steel, full-weighted BCG - because its gonna be easier to diagnose your cycling issues in the future.

2.  CMC single stage triggers don't compare to Geissele 2-stage triggers.  That's comparing apples to hammers.

3.  You should research that barrel purchase, or desire, right here on this board - before you decide on buying that company's barrel.  Take that for what it's worth.

4.  GunTec only makes .308AR handguards in the DPMS-Low profile.  You need to determine if your HellFire set is DPMS High or DPMS Low profile, before you look at the GunTec rail.  GunTec makes good rails, and it's on one of my small-frame guns.  But, to this date, they've never made a single DPMS High profile .308AR rail.  You need to research that aspect of it.

Lastly, if you're building off that HellFire set - no matter what they say in their advertising...   What they picture is NOT an AR-10 pattern, in the very least, and by no stretch of the imagination.  It's DPMS LR-308-based.  Seems that if HellFire calls it "AR-10", then they don't know what they're talking about in the first place. 

Edited by 98Z5V

On 12/18/2020 at 8:34 AM, TheEstimator said:

My budget for the gun will be 3K. I can spend another 4K on glass and 1.5K on a Can.

Seems like you've got one HELL of a budget for this gun, but you're looking at the cheapest parts that are out there for the backbone here- the GUN.

Just buy a LaRue Ultimate Upper Kit, and buy the LaRue lower for another $299 - and you'll end up with one HELL of a backbone for this project.  And be WAY under 3 grand for the gun, that way.

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Just buy a LaRue Ultimate Upper Kit, and buy the LaRue lower for another $299 - and you'll end up with one HELL of a backbone for this project.  And be WAY under 3 grand for the gun, that way.

I didn't think LaRue mad 80% lowers.  As far as the cheapest parts goes; that's really not what I'm looking at.  The engineer in me wants to go through material specs, bolting patterns, etc. and that was just a starting place.  

8 minutes ago, TheEstimator said:

I didn't think LaRue mad 80% lowers.  As far as the cheapest parts goes; that's really not what I'm looking at.  The engineer in me wants to go through material specs, bolting patterns, etc. and that was just a starting place.  

Why are you hung up on an 80% lower on your first .308AR?...