• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

RRA Barrel - Aftermarket Options

Bgenn

Hello all,

First time posting and new to the AR community. 

I just purchased a RRA .308 AR-10. It's a LE1395BT-3 with a 20" barrel. I contacted RRA to inquire about purchasing a shorter barrel. They told me they don't offer any(even though they have shorter options on their website). 

From talking to a local gunshop they mentioned that RRA isn't compatible with most of the aftermarket barrels out there. 

Does anyone know where I can get a shorter barrel for this rifle. In the 14" to 16" range. 

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Bryan

8 minutes ago, Bgenn said:

Thx unforgiven but I called RRA and they don't have anything available. 

Almost everybody "doesn't have anything available" right now.  That's the state of the Gun Industry.  That's not a shock, or shouldn't be.  Finding anything in stock is a miracle, like Moses getting water from a rock. 

Just trying to illuminate the terrain on which you are currently deployed. 

That's a proprietary platform - the RRA LAR-8 is.  It's not DPMS LR-308, and it's not Armalite AR-10  - which share alot. 

The LAR-8 IS the old Bushmaster BAR-10.  Same gun.  In comparison to the LR-308 and AR-10, the LAR-8 BCG is longer, the buffer is shorter, the receivers are longer (to handle the longer BCG).  If there's a "Big 3 Players" on the market, they're in there with Armalite and the DPMS pattern - but they ARE the weird one. 

Edited by 98Z5V

You might be able to cut down your barrel to an 18" without interference with gas block. Put threads on the end with a target crown. It's a great rifle but limited to modification. Barrel nut being the odd ball. I had a Standard Operator in 20". A brother here made me an offer I couldn't refuse so it's at his house now.🍻

6 hours ago, unforgiven said:

You might be able to cut down your barrel to an 18" without interference with gas block. Put threads on the end with a target crown.

ADCO Firearms can perform that for him, easily.  :thumbup:

If you cut it down, you shorten the dwell time, which means you'll probably need to increase the gas port diameter.

https://adcofirearms.com/ 

• 1 year later...
On 8/14/2021 at 6:57 PM, Bgenn said:

Hello all,

First time posting and new to the AR community. 

I just purchased a RRA .308 AR-10. It's a LE1395BT-3 with a 20" barrel. I contacted RRA to inquire about purchasing a shorter barrel. They told me they don't offer any(even though they have shorter options on their website). 

From talking to a local gunshop they mentioned that RRA isn't compatible with most of the aftermarket barrels out there. 

Does anyone know where I can get a shorter barrel for this rifle. In the 14" to 16" range. 

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Bryan

On 12/5/2022 at 4:59 PM, Warpath said:

Looks like you quotes someone, but you didn't say anything.

If you're highlighting the original post (looks like it) - then my original answer still stands  ADCO Firearms can shorten the barrel, and increase the gas port diameter, for it to function with a shorter barrel. 

RRA barrel extensions are different.  DPMS-basr LR-308 barrel extensions aren't identical to Armalite AR-10 barrels extensions, either, but those two are closer than the differences in the LAR-8 extension.

Only option is to get the barrel cut down.  I don't know ANY aftermarket barrel makers that are tailored to the RRA profile.  Doesn't mean they don't exist - I've just never seen them in all these years.

Edited by 98Z5V