• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Versatile 308AR

ArmadaDad

I wanted to get some input on my plans for my 308AR. I would like to own a 308AR that I can change from a hunting platform to a defense platform. I've seen the vertical handgrip that doubles as a bipod when needed and I know that I can can change the optics when needed from red dot to hunting scope fairly easily. I really dont have the means to own too many weapons systems so my AR needs to adapt and change for my needs.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Adding repeatable mounts for a scope and red dot will make it easier to hold a zero after swapping optics back and forth. I like larue, they are pricy but have top notch quality and guarantee. I believe a 16" barrel will be fine unless you are hunting open plains. After that many parts and pieces are personal to taste. Keep us up on your progress 

I think you can get what you want fairly easily. A 16" mid length (or rifle length) AR with a standard A2 front sight block, and a fixed rear sight. Then get a scope with a trustworthy quick release lever. A comfortable, decent quality, collapsible stock will easily transfer to both applications.

Keep the open sight, A4 styled AR for home defense. If you use the Magpul MOE handguard you can quickly attach a flashlight (if you really think that's a necessity) to a modular rail.

When it's time to go hunting, attach the scope to the top rail and go! I've posted several times that a 16" barrel will perform satisfactorily for most hunting applications out to 300 yards.

The A4 style rifle will be lighter than 99% of the bench behemoths that guys are toting around at the range. A .260 Rem chambered rifle will gain you a bit more attention and more adaptability. I would lean towards a flash hider or compensator instead of a muzzle break, since sub-MOA precision is not your goal on this build. In all honesty, I think you can get away with a great build for less that $1200 (+optics). Maybe a bit more, depending on how crazy you go on sights, trigger and other sundry internal/external accessories.