• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Aero Precision AR 308 charging handle fitment issue

jbarryb

This is my first time on this forum and I am hoping that someone has a quick fix short of sending the upper back to Aero.

I have built numerous ARs including one Aero Precision AR 308 in 308 cal.  I decided that I wanted to build another upper in 6.5 creedmoor.  Just received my upper and when I tried to install the charging handle it would not insert.  The tangs on the handle don't seem to want to go into the tracks in the upper.  The tangs may be hitting the corners at the entrance of the tracks but it is hard to see exactly what it is doing.    I tried swapping handles with my other AR 308 and both handles work in the other gun but neither will install in the new upper.  I am hoping that someone has encountered this issue in the past.  I have always had good luck with Aero up to this point.  Thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2022 at 3:51 PM, jbarryb said:

This is my first time on this forum and I am hoping that someone has a quick fix short of sending the upper back to Aero.

I have built numerous ARs including one Aero Precision AR 308 in 308 cal.  I decided that I wanted to build another upper in 6.5 creedmoor.  Just received my upper and when I tried to install the charging handle it would not insert.  The tangs on the handle don't seem to want to go into the tracks in the upper.  The tangs may be hitting the corners at the entrance of the tracks but it is hard to see exactly what it is doing.    I tried swapping handles with my other AR 308 and both handles work in the other gun but neither will install in the new upper.  I am hoping that someone has encountered this issue in the past.  I have always had good luck with Aero up to this point.  Thanks.

Jbarry, did you find a solution/charging handle that fits? I am having the same issue in my aero M5E1 upper. My first build so I’m no pro. I’ve tried a radian raptor and Breek arms and neither fit. Both say they are dpms compatible and the M5E1 according to the aero site accepts dpms parts. I’m at a loss. All the videos I’ve watch make it look as if the handle just drops in and slides forward, no forcing or pushing hard. But my attempts are snagging just as yours did.