• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Cmmg Mk3 grouping

Elklickbee

On 2/24/2022 at 6:21 PM, Elklickbee said:

I’ve added a cmmg mk3 to the 308 barn and am having grouping issues. Leupold LR scope and torqued correctly and gunsmith verified. I also used a variety of ammo. I can bull the first shot and then the flyers start. Any suggestions are much appreciated. 

You're missing a whole slew of details there, friend... What ammo specifically, how much spread/deviation per specific ammo, what distance are you shooting, what position/support are you shooting from, factory trigger or aftermarket, etc etc. There are a multitude of possible contributing factors, and all we know is the brands of your scope & rifle, and that you used differing brands and/or types of ammo.

On 2/24/2022 at 7:43 PM, Elklickbee said:

I used IWI ammo today. Have used Hornady 165 AMax, Winchester Ballistic tip 168 grain. Federal Premium 165, 168 and 175 grain. All shooting suppressed from the bench sand bagged and also with the bipod. Suppressor is a Silencer Co. Distance is 100 yards. 

Did you try removing the suppressor from the equation? What twist is your barrel? 

Bipods on a bench aren't great stability, for what it's worth to you. Sand bags from a bench are a bit better. Trying a lead sled or a tripod setup might yield better results as well. How much spread and deviation were you seeing? 

Will shoot without the suppressor next range day. 2 different shooters with a good center shot then the following shots are several inches from the first. First shooter had a five inch spread and 2nd slightly more. The bolt carrier group was replaced along with the gas key by Cmmg.  I’ll mount another scope on it also. 

On 2/24/2022 at 10:01 PM, Elklickbee said:

Will shoot without the suppressor next range day. 2 different shooters with a good center shot then the following shots are several inches from the first. First shooter had a five inch spread and 2nd slightly more. The bolt carrier group was replaced along with the gas key by Cmmg.  I’ll mount another scope on it also. 

Only change 1 factor at a time, so you know which factor makes the difference. Also, I'd advise moving away from the IMI, the other stuff you listed is pretty good and should work fairly well. Cheap ammo isn't consistent enough to tell you what's working and what's not in terms of accuracy improvements. What's your barrel twist?

Did you check the barrel nut to see if it was tight? What mount are you using? Factory ammo is a good start and I agree with Matt that bagged is better than bipod to measure groupings if that’s what you’re looking for. Off the bipod can cause numerous variables if you aren’t 100% consistent. Sled is best. Suppressor should only change poi but I wouldn’t think it would cause grouping issues unless it’s improperly mounted.