• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

16" .260 AR10

Yoshi

Howdy!  Been toying with building an AR10 for quite sometime, but was always put off by the weight and ballistics of the .308 since I like to shoot out past 800yds and wanted a light-weight solution for my tact-comp rifle.

Was thinking about the 6.5 Grendel, but from what I understand, it's ballistics aren't as good as the .260 way out there.  But, it's much lighter.

I was hoping a good trade-off would be a 16" .260.  I know it's not much of a weight reduction, but it's some plus I hope to get better ballistics than the .308 in an equal lenght barrel.

Thoughts?  Am I totally off on this one?

I think it'll work, but I am still at the low end of the "intermediate" shooter and my knowledge is lacking in ballistics, parts, etc...

My initial thoughs is a Mega monolithic combo.  Hasn't gotten much farther than that, but they are expensive.  Any alternatives I should consider?

The mono uppers are good looking but not quite my cup of tea. You might be surprised how much Dave Branson sells the mono uppers for on the Mega group buy. If you compare the cost of a high quality handguard and a upper, they are pretty close.

I would stick to using a midweight 16" rifle length barrel, A low profile gas block and then a 12" or 15" VTAC handguard.

Great for the range and the hunt.