• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Howdy from Alaska

Coldfoot

Glad I found this site.  Great information!

A little about me: Moved to Alaska 36 years ago.  Did it for the mild weather.  Came from North Dakota. <laughs>

Hunted off and on but mostly shot competitively.  Run and gun pistol - USPSA - IDPA,  and sporting clays.  Mostly shotgunning for the last 12 years. 

Spent 5 years teaching basic .22 rimfire with 10-15 year olds.  That was a lot of work but very rewarding.

The boss is taking a few of us on a little hunting adventure to Namibia next spring.  That'll be interesting.  Working on loads for my .375 Ruger.  Too much gun for plains game but I cannot go to Africa without a .375. <thumbsup>

My work schedule does not allow much time off for hunting in Alaska although I was involved in 4 caribou bulls this year. 

The wife and I have a pair of Yamaha Rhinos. Gets us in and out of the Alaska bush quickly on spring and fall day trips.  Summers are all about work.

Now, my latest mission in life:  shooting prairie dogs

Returned to the Dakotas this fall.  Fall P-dogging is a challenge.  Most dogs have been shot at all summer making them run at the sight of shooters.  Often the only targets are 'out there a ways'.  I was persistent enough to bag a dog at 750 yards with my .223AR.  I would like to tell you it was one shot and dead but it was more like a full magazine dialing scope to get him.  The little 20 mph crosswind was a major issue.  Shot 2,400 rounds in 7 days.  <thumbsup>

This brings me to 308AR.com.  I need a 1,000 yard prairie dog gun.  I've built a couple of long range 223ARs and just finished a 204AR.  I have a 458SOCOM AR but that's for the big fuzz monsters I bump into in Alaska.

I jumped on the 'better buy it now before Obama outlaws it' bandwagon during the gun buying frenzy.  Ended up with a DPMS AP-4.  Not the ideal 1000 yard gopher getter.  It has set in the safe unfired.  Too many other AR projects.

So the process of building the ultimate long range prairie dogger leads me here.  I think I need a 260AR.  Wait-looks like the UPS driver is stopping here.  I wonder what he has for me. ;D

Thanks for having me.