• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Gas piston stuff and is it do-able?

arm_usa

First post here as a newish member but long time builder. 

I've had some time with a Sig 716 Patrol few years ago and didn't think much of it but now im considering trying to piece together or find the gas piston setup from Sig Sauer. Been difficult as to i can't find it or parts. Havent looked or called Sig direct yet though. this would be used on a 13.5 pinned/welded shorter build i already have. (Aero with BA barrel cut down). Want to ditch the Superlative arms block if possible.

Im mainly interested in the piston set up cause it looks simple and has only 4 adjustments. Would likely need a new BCG due to gas key style too. I like little amounts of adjustments. I run the guns suppressed alot but don't feel a 30+ click adjustable gas block is the answer. Its slightly annoying to have that many adjustments and i think no more than 10 is needed. I also remember sig having some of their 13" barrels having wrong drilled gas port locations few years ago and were discounted nicely. Im not sure if gas system is DPMS or proprietary....

Anyone run a gas piston setup like this or an Adams arms or POF? Thanks for any help or ideas.

1 hour ago, arm_usa said:

Im mainly interested in the piston set up cause it looks simple and has only 4 adjustments. Would likely need a new BCG due to gas key style too. I like little amounts of adjustments. I run the guns suppressed alot but don't feel a 30+ click adjustable gas block is the answer. Its slightly annoying to have that many adjustments and i think no more than 10 is needed. I also remember sig having some of their 13" barrels having wrong drilled gas port locations few years ago and were discounted nicely.

Several members here have built DI guns on those 12.5 inch Sig barrels with good success, search Sig and 12.5 and you should find lots of reading on the topic. I have a P716 and it's a jam-o-matic anchor. I have not found any advantage for the Sig piston over using the same barrel in a DI build, suppressed or not. Look at one of the switch type gas  blocks, they would simplify the gas setting like you are looking for. I can't answer on the other piston set-ups, never really been an external piston guy.

https://www.primaryarms.com/seekins-precision-select-adjustable-gas-block-875in

2 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Several members here have built DI guns on those 12.5 inch Sig barrels with good success, search Sig and 12.5 and you should find lots of reading on the topic. I have a P716 and it's a jam-o-matic anchor. I have not found any advantage for the Sig piston over using the same barrel in a DI build, suppressed or not. Look at one of the switch type gas  blocks, they would simplify the gas setting like you are looking for. I can't answer on the other piston set-ups, never really been an external piston guy.

https://www.primaryarms.com/seekins-precision-select-adjustable-gas-block-875in

I hear ya. I remember alot of those 12.5 DI setups running good. just had to have the proper gas tube made from what i remember. That sucks yours was a jammy sob. I just like the simplicity of it. Sorta simple like Sig's Classic Swat 5.56 with just a few positions. I loved that gun,should'be never got rid of it years ago.

i also notice Adams Arms is down. Wasn't a huge follower of their stuff anyways. POF seems to gun good but haven't seen anyone run one on a DPMS/SR25 setup that was orignally DI.

im not sold on a piston system being what I "NEED" but its what i'd love to try. Sorta like a HK51K 5.3" 308. Its not practical or even needed but just farging cool!

I might just have to try it and figure out what i can get away with as far as options go. Makes sense for manufactures to not dive into the GP 308 category for aftermarket people. Theres not alot of us who build it from the ground up and want a gas piston system on a 308.