• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Short stroking LR-308

Jessejames

Hey yall. I've ben trying to figure out my 308 build for the past few months, and I'm about at my wits end. This is my first large frame AR build. when I first built my rife, I was having trouble with it short stroking, so I switched out the gas block for an Superlative Arms adjustable, and now I have zero BCG movement. I tried it all the way open, and all the way closed, no joy. I've checked gas block and gas tube alignment, and I am not able to locate a misalignment or a blockage. 

Here's the build list for the important stuff in the upper.

-Criterion barrels 20" stainless 1-11T hybrid barrel. 

-BCM Gas Tube 

-Originally, Badger Ordnance TDX Gas Manifold, switched to a Superlative Arms .750 Adjustable Gas Block

-Aero Precision Nickel Boron .308 Bolt Carrier Group

-Originally, M5 .308 Rifle Buffer Kit, switched to a JP Enterprises .308 GEN 2 SILENT CAPTURED SPRING SYSTEM

Thanks in advance for any insight. 

Edited by Jessejames

Switch back to the rifle buffer and spring for further testing.  It should be a more reliable system while your issues are sorted out.  

The next most likely problem seen on large frame ARs is that you gas port is too small.  It appears that you are not getting enough gas to operate the rifle.  Since you had more luck with the standard gas block, put it back on.  While it is off, measure your gas port.  Numbered drill bits is the easiest way to figure out the size.