• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Cheapest .308 Ammo (no steel)?

Guest BWCustoms

Guest BWCustoms

This is the best I've found so far:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM7291-1.html

$116.95 per 250 rounds once fired brass.

I know the cheapest is to reload myself. I am working on that. However for the time being I need to purchase ammo ready to go and in bulk, but its just for testing some stuff - it doesn't need to be sub MOA stuff.

Is this about as good as it gets without going steel or do you know of something better?

That's pretty cheap. But yeah, once-fired which isn't necessarily bad.  And the projectiles are bi-metal.  Probably fine, but a lot of people will grimace because the bullets are magnetic.  Meh.

A while a go, Copes had the new production (1990's) Paki ammo.  250 rounds in an ammo can.  I recall is was $95.  That meets the criteria you set... but it is Berdan primed.  If your criteria also included that you wanted to reload it, that's a lot of extra work to convert it to boxer.  But it's so cheap, I bought it for use in my HK stuff because the HK flutes mess up the brass so much, I don't see a point in reloading it anyway.  If found it locally for $85/250 in an ammo can.  I talked the guy locally into 2 cans for $80.  The stuff shoots great and "supposedly" isn't corrosive.

Just another option you might run into --if you keeps your eyes open.

Oz