• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New member, question about DPMS Oracle LR308

DroneShotFPV

I have been reading through several forum posts, and decided it was time to join and ask a question or 12! haha

Back in 2015ish, before knowing a whole lot about the DPMS LR308 / SR25 / AR10 platform, but being an AVID AR15 builder / shooter, etc, I knew I wanted a .308 chamber "AR Platform". I had an HK 91 clone which was the PTR-91, and I loved it, but I had to get rid of it due to a divorce, money, etc.... I didn't know much about it, other than what it shot and that I loved that boom.. lol

Fast forward to 2015, Rural King in my local area had this DPMS Oracle 308, and I INSTANTLY was like "yes, I will just start here, and I can immediately just shoot, and learn as I upgrade, etc". And don't get me wrong, I figured it couldn't be all that different,  just the components, and various pieces and requirements are different, so easy peasy. Bad part is, it was so good (for me anyway) that aside of a new quad rail handguard, my favorite optic, new NiB BCG, and a Bipod, I didn't do anything else... It just worked. It STILL works, and I still love it to this day. But now, I am wanting to do more, I am going to drop in a trigger, change out a few other parts, use the lower as a component to another upper I already have (which fits, it's a DPMS pattern upper) but I saw just how many different variations there could be, and how inconsistent it really is for this style of rifle. 

My first issue I had was a Rise Armament Blitz trigger. It's a great trigger for what I want to do with it, and I like both Rise Armament and HIPERFIRE. I have several of both in other rifles, but my LR308 has been milspec that came with the system to this day. Last night I finally had time to do the trigger swap, and low and behold, once I got the trigger in, it wouldn't squeeze. Long story short, the front of the cassette rubbed up against the front wall of the trigger well / housing area and made it so the trigger wouldn't move. I included a screenshot of the trigger assembly and circled the area that rubs up and pushes firmly against the inside wall of the lower. Anyway, for grins, and the fact that I did NOT want to put the milspec trigger back in, I dropped in one of my HIPERFIRE PDI triggers, and it worked without issue. Yes, it was a tight fit, but not so tight that it rubbed anywhere inside, just not a ton of room for wiggle or error.

With this in mind, I started combing the forums again to look at information and saw the GEN1 and GEN2 discussions, and then realized the Oracle is NEITHER a Gen1 or Gen2, but PRE Gen1 and Gen2, correct?

Is there a list of what I should look for when ordering parts for this rifle? I know some call it a cheap plinker, but I kid you not, with the right 7.62x51 ammo, I am hitting 5 shot 1" groups at 200 yards easily, and I have a handicap, as my dominant (right) eye has Ocular Histoplasmosis, and I have peripheral, but lost central vision in my right eye, so I have to tilt my head, use a riser for my optics, and use peripheral + left eye for sighting my target. So for me, who isn't a competition shooter, but just love to have fun, it's perfect. 

Sorry for the long winded intro and questions / description, but I look forward to being active here as I also build out my new rifles since I am getting back into building again, and I am looking to not only build a secondary .308, but also a 6.5 Creedmoor and potentially something else.... I am open to suggestions if anyone has any!

RA Blitz.png

1 hour ago, shooterrex said:

Your rifle is a Gen 1. There is no Gen 2. There is a G II that is a lot smaller frame 308. That didn't last long.

Some of these triggers fit the large frame guns. Some don't.

There is no "Milspec" on these guns.

Beautiful, thank you for clearing that up for me. By Mil Spec I meant the "mil spec" FCG that is the same in every LPK for AR15. I assumed that with the LR308, being so many variables that it was legit just whatever they designed to use. lol

That being said, since this is a Gen 1 and being the Oracle, as long as it's a DPMS pattern component, I should be set, or at least in theory, right?

Thanks again for the reply!

9 hours ago, DroneShotFPV said:

and then realized the Oracle is NEITHER a Gen1 or Gen2, but PRE Gen1 and Gen2, correct?

Just reading through this a little.  DPMS.  There is no such thing as "Gen 1" - ever.  There's the DPMS LR-308.  It's not "Gen 1" or "Gen anything"  It's the DPMS LR-308 model.   Comes in many configurations and flavors.

DPMS decided to "shrink the receivers" and devised a way to make a .308 Win (large frame) platform with smaller receivers, smaller in many areas, and touted that it would work with any AR15 handguard.  That was the DPMS G II platform.  It's not a "Gen 2", it's the DPMS G II platform.

Not enough information out there about this, and I wish it was prolific and rampant, across the message-board planet - but not enough people understand it, and put out a metric shiit-ton of misinformation on it.

There's my $0.02 so far... 

5 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Just reading through this a little.  DPMS.  There is no such thing as "Gen 1" - ever.  There's the DPMS LR-308.  It's not "Gen 1" or "Gen anything"  It's the DPMS LR-308 model.   Comes in many configurations and flavors.

DPMS decided to "shrink the receivers" and devised a way to make a .308 Win (large frame) platform with smaller receivers, smaller in many areas, and touted that it would work with any AR15 handguard.  That was the DPMS G II platform.  It's not a "Gen 2", it's the DPMS G II platform.

Not enough information out there about this, and I wish it was prolific and rampant, across the message-board planet - but not enough people understand it, and put out a metric shiit-ton of misinformation on it.

There's my $0.02 so far... 

I noticed that about the wealth of misinformation. That is where I got Gen 1 and Gen 2 from. There was even several sites / forums that stated the Oracle "wasn't gen anything" but then after the Oracle was a Gen 1 and Gen 2 which aligned with the GII model and the smaller receivers. I am glad I got the proper information here though to set me straight, because while it's not some mega high end rifle, it still works for my needs and what I want to do with it. 

I am beyond glad I joined this forum!

7 hours ago, shooterrex said:

Yep standard DPMS pattern parts should fit your rifle.

Thank you, Now I can start emptying my bank account properly! lol