• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

M5 Barrel nut 2023

StarWolf

A friend of mine picked up some .308 parts for a build including a M5 receiver set and a handguard.
I mentioned it on this thread: https://forum.308ar.com/topic/23723-midwest-ar10-reaction-rod-issue/?tab=comments#comment-368911
Basically he was having problems getting it together or getting it to function. Most of the problem was probably getting it lined up and torqued up. I offered some help and the use of some tools but I don't much loan tools by themselves. Due to scheduling he asked me to torque it up and 'maybe dimple the barrel.'

Then there's this thread:
https://forum.308ar.com/topic/19425-m5-barrel-nut-issues/
from another member.

Edited by StarWolf
premature post.

So I was having some issues with the barrel nut. I managed to let the wrench slip even though I know better.
Got it up to decent torque however with a couple shims in it so that it clocked correctly. In all honesty after the wrench slippage I wasn't exactly happy trying to get it all the way up to Aero's spec 65 foot pounds. A little afraid I'd shear off the little wrenching flanges.

The barrel dimple is there, but about half the depth I'd prefer. I may revisit it, but if necessary it should get the owner lined up on the port.

He is going to use a captive recoil system. Hopefully this one is for the .308 this time instead of the normal 5.56 buffer and spring. It should go together now and if he tightens the handguard screws and puts the gas block on the dimple it should work next time at the range.

Yeah, I recommended the heavy .308 carbine buffer plus the Sprinco Orange but you know how that goes some times.
He's mentioned JP Enterprises but without seeing it I am not sure what he ended up with. I've had pretty good luck with their stuff but I've not gone down the captive recoil system path.

I gave him a recommended build list before he got started and mentioned most of the .308 specific parts but he still managed to get a few AR-15 only bits.