• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Replacement rear iron sights for LR-308 'high' upper

GetCrispy

Hey folks,

I've got a DPMS LR-308 with the "high" upper (3/16" tang above the charging handle). I have the A-frame front sight gas block and I need to replace the rear iron sight, what are my options? I would like a carry handle but I realize they are unobtanium at this point. I'm assuming if I get a "standard" AR-15 rear sight, it won't line up correctly with the factory front sight and it'll shoot high even at the lowest elevation setting.

Thanks in advance.

11 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Standard AR15 rear sight will work just fine.  :thumbup:

Thanks for the quick reply, 98Z5V!

Can I also assume that an aftermarket AR-15 carry handle (with sight of course) would also work?

Just for my own understanding - is it the “low” uppers that it’s harder to find a sight for, then? Thanks again. 

3 hours ago, GetCrispy said:

Can I also assume that an aftermarket AR-15 carry handle (with sight of course) would also work?

Nope, it's too short, in length.  Well, you could mount it, it's just picatinny rail.  But the Large Frame receiver is longer, and it would look quite odd. 

11 hours ago, shooterrex said:

You have the adjustment on the front sight backwards.

If it's shooting high you raise the front sight to lower the point of impact.

Understood, I meant " it'll shoot high even with the rear sight at the lowest elevation setting" but I wasn't very clear.

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Nope, it's too short, in length.  Well, you could mount it, it's just picatinny rail.  But the Large Frame receiver is longer, and it would look quite odd. 

Makes sense. I'll probably just get some regular irons then. Just to expand my own knowledge, would regular AR-15 iron sights work on both a "low" and a "high" upper with the factory FSB, just with different adjustments required?

11 hours ago, GetCrispy said:

Just to expand my own knowledge, would regular AR-15 iron sights work on both a "low" and a "high" upper with the factory FSB, just with different adjustments required?

Yep.  There's enough total adjustment in the front sight to account for it. 

Fr adjustable front and rear sights, remember this acronym:  FORS.  Front Opposite, Rear Same. you adjust the sights for the way you want the observed impacts to go.  If you're shooting, and it's impacting 3" exactly left of the bullseye, then you need to move it right.  Rear Same.  Move the rear sight right, to move the impacts right.  If you're shooting 3" directly high above the bullseye, then you want to move the impacts down.  Front Opposite - you'd adjust the front sight UP, to move the impacts down. 

Remember FORS, and you can't go wrong.   :thumbup: