• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Closer to loading...LOL

EdMP3006

I'm sure 98Z5V is gonna laugh his ass off at me since he and I were talking about loads for my AR way back in the beginning of the year and I still haven't done anything...simple response: I finally got a bench I can work on...LOL

So now I'm curious as to a specific load configuration and if anyone is currently running it and how is it performing...again, que 98Z5V...

Hornady 178 ELD-X and StaBALL Match....had someone tell me BTHP's are better in an AR instead of the ELD-X....these will also be loaded into new production/pre-primed '21 LC brass

H3074__97108.jpg

MATCH1__49439.jpg

10 hours ago, EdMP3006 said:

I'm sure 98Z5V is gonna laugh his ass off

:lmao:  We're good, Ed!!!   :laffs:

I love the 178 ELD-X, for one simple reason - I was chasing accuracy potential.  The ELD-X has a slightly higher BC  than the other 178s that Hornady makes.  

I ran the 178 HPBTs for YEARS, and the Match was listed.  It wasn't enough of a BC jump for me to go through load development all over again, so I didn't switch to it when it came out.  Not long after releasing the Match, they released the X - and I made the jump, completely.  I knew right then that it wasn't gonna get any better for the 178 projectiles, they made their productions, finalized their designs, and to me, the X was the winner.

So, time to build a new gun for it, time to develop loads again from the ground up, and time to try a new powder. 

Here's the stack of 178s from Hornady - click it until it gets bigger and you can read it:

Hornady178projectiles30cal.thumb.jpg.7a415933491c59ab4ae19af5f6440e58.jpg

Here's the gun that went together just for that projectile, and the new powder trial:

image.jpeg.bafbd06bc050dd90c27a1776c4de01af.jpeg

Accurate 2495 was the powder selected.  Load is as follows:  Mk11 Mod 0 // .308 Win // Hornady 178 ELD-X // 2530 fps from 18.5" Kreiger/Criterion barrel, profile custom to Fulton Armory // Accurate 2495 powder, 40.6 gr // CCI 200 primer // Hornady .308 Match brass.

I've since switch that over to Lake City 7.62 NATO brass (not fired as machine gun brass, and not LC Match brass) - and it's an equally stellar load.

I think you're on the perfectly right track, Ed - keep on keeping on, work that load up.  If the StaBall Match doesn't work, I for sure know that the Accurate 2495 works like a champ.  Drive on, brother, it'll shoot!   :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

On 11/22/2023 at 8:42 PM, 98Z5V said:

On a side note - that StaBall powder is pretty damn good!  I'm using StaBall 6.5 to work up the stuff for the 7mm-08 rifle, running the Hornady 175 ELD-M...   That thing has a G1 BC of .796!!!   :banana:

I was gonna message you, but figured it had been a minute and wasn't sure if anything had changed...

Definitely going to stick with the X's for the long run and going to try to stop into a gun show near by and see if anyone has StaBALL Match at not crazy prices, that way I don't have to pay for shipping/HazMat fees...

But everything should be near the time soon, especially since I've got a spot to work in...need to get my scope leveled out and zero'd too...might have to try this indoor range about an hour away from me and zero it there...

Side note, still thinking about cutting down my barrel from 24" to maybe 20"...and going to start looking at suppressors also...thinking ThunderBeast or Dead Air

IMG_2119.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg