• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Accuracy tips for building AR308

TomBruto

Everybody, great info, thanks. 

I bet whith the bedding and the tensioning screws or the NM pins, the upper and lower would have a rock solid fit and hopefully contribute a measurable gain of accuracy.  Usually I will see group sizes cut in half after i bed a bolt action. I don't think it would be quite that significant on an ar platform, but i wouldn't be surprised to see a noticable improvement.  I believe that a perfect fit of action to stock is or can be just as important as barrel, or scope, when precision is the goal.  Needless to say i will be experementing with this pretty soon.  And to get rid of any gap between the recievers, assuming there are still some even though i plan on using oversized pins, I would just clean the top face of the lower reciever, and put some release agent on the upper, and bed them together.  Which may even get rid of more play in the fit. Only down side, the lower will be completely dedicated to that particular upper.

I don't mix my uppers & lowers any how . When I build a rifle , its stays together . Swapping uppers on AR's is a great feature , but I don't choose to do it .

I have been wanting to do this to my 20 " DPMS  308 build & just haven't found the time yet .My 20 " will mostly put them in one hole now I put the Geissele trigger in & got my load down ,but I do get  one some times that goes out of the one hole & have always wondered ,is it me or because there is a little slop in the receivers .

Probably me . <thumbsup>

I have a lower made by sun devil mfg. in mesa az. these folks put a tensioning screw up through the lower to contact the rear pin. you can adjust the pin tension through the grip and it removes all the play between the upper and lower. Great idea sun devil.

Dave copied that from Kevin @ AGP. But it is still a very nice plus.

What is going to be really cool is their side charging upper when it comes out ! It may be a while but it is very nice !