• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Loading 223/5.56

Dusty44

My shooting range is experiencing an anti-gun lawsuit.  EPA is involved.  Court order,  no 30 cal or larger rifle shooting.  Smaller caliber rifles and all handguns are still allowed at last check.

That kicked me off the fence real good.  The LR-308 is now in indefinite hold.  I saw a flier from Cabela's with a passable price on a DPMS Oracle in 5.56 and picked one up.  If you want the (very  <laughs>) long version,  Tactical22.Net,  "Plunging In."

The new AR has a 1 - 9 twist and is formally chambered for 5.56 NATO.  I have bought a variety of factory ammo in 55,  62,  75 grain (all nominal 223 Rem) to try out.  I also picked up a Hornady set of dies for reloading.  Have not yet had time to research anything (in spite of 5 reload manuals sitting on my bookshelf).  If you have a 1 - 9 twist  in a 5.56 or know about it for reloading what bullets seem to work best  by weight,  design,  manufacturer?  Any preferred powder?

Thank you for any information or thoughts!