• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First .308 Build

thunder59

New to this forum so please bear with me.

I've built several AR15's so I wanted to try my hand at a .308 build. I got a great price on a POF stripped lower on the recommendation of my local gun shop. They assured me that the DPMS lower parts kit would work but lo and behold, I find out the rear takedown pin is a .250". I wondered why the front pivot pin was included with the lower. Now I wonder why the rear takedown pin wasn't included. So far I haven't been able to find a source for the correct size pin. Will I have to get one from Patriot Ordinance?

My other concern is accuracy. I found a DPMS upper and SASS barrel so my intent here is to build a tack driver not just a battle rifle. Any thoughts about how the different pin sizes might affect accuracy?

So far I am into this for about $1000. Still looking for a stock and forearm. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

Your story sounds just like my own when I first became involved with the .308 AR platform. I mistakenly thought that the large platform guns were just scaled up versions of the small platform guns.  So, to begun your education (no insult intended) The large platform AR's have no mil spec, so, the different manufacturer's have pretty much done whatever they wanted when developing their products. Two types predominate. They are, the Armalite, and the DPMS/Knights SR25 types. Some parts interchange between the two, some do not. Uppers and lowers do not interchange between the two. Most agree that the bolts and barrel extensions do not. Now, to muddy the waters further, ther are several companies that make their own proprietary guns that share even less parts than the above mentioned. From personal experience, I will tell you that the POF lower (very nice receiver) was not designed to fit any other manufacturers upper. You can mate a DPMS upper to it, but ideally you would need to make bushings to reduce the ID's of the DPMS pivot and take down pin holes from .277" to the POF's proprietary .250" pin size. In my opinion, if you are trying to make a match quality rifle, you would be better served by starting with a matches upper and lower set from a reputable comapny. I, personally, am very impressed with the Mega Arms MA TEN sets, which you can get from the group buy on this forum. If You'd care to go into this in greater depth, feel free to PM me about it, and I'll be happy to share my experience trying to put together a POF lowered DPMS uppered .308 AR.

• 2 weeks later...

New to this forum so please bear with me.

I've built several AR15's so I wanted to try my hand at a .308 build. I got a great price on a POF stripped lower on the recommendation of my local gun shop. They assured me that the DPMS lower parts kit would work but lo and behold, I find out the rear takedown pin is a .250". I wondered why the front pivot pin was included with the lower. Now I wonder why the rear takedown pin wasn't included. So far I haven't been able to find a source for the correct size pin. Will I have to get one from Patriot Ordinance?

My other concern is accuracy. I found a DPMS upper and SASS barrel so my intent here is to build a tack driver not just a battle rifle. Any thoughts about how the different pin sizes might affect accuracy?

So far I am into this for about $1000. Still looking for a stock and forearm. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

I see I am not the only one looking to do this. My wife got me a stripped POF lower for Christmas and I am just now starting my lower build. I was told by POF that their lower parts are MIL SPEC .223 except for the pins that they include with the lower. I just ordered my parts kit from Wilson Combat, my buffer tube and spring, hammer and trigger pin, and a few other parts from POF, I did get a Vltor IMOD stock which I am very impressed with the look and feel. PLEASE PM me if you can I would really like to get more info on what you have found out on your upper. I really am not looking to drop $2K on one of their uppers, I did contact DPMS and they claim their upper would fit the POF lower. After reading these two post I am concerned now.lJ8SA.jpg