• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Federal M80?

barrysuperhawk

Since supplies of decent surplus .308 are long gone, and most all of the steel stuff sucks, I have been looking for what ammo to buy to blast with.  I already handload all of my precision ammo, but I hate to "waste" my good stuff hammering away at a 66% IPSC at 100Y at a match where I can't pick up my brass.  My old standby was SA .308, it was Brass, Berdan, and shot fairly accurately out of all of my .308's [2 AR pattern rifles, 2 FAL's and a M1A].  My go-to handload being a 155 palma bullet, I would like to stay in the 150 +/- range, which brings me to the Federal M80 Bulk pack:

Forgive me for the CTD link, it was google's first choice..

A couple local shops have this available, and the price, while not good, is at least cheaper than 20 round commercial .308 ammo.  The only thing stopping me from buying a case or 2 to try is the comparatively bad rep that the XM193 and XM855 have for accuracy or lack thereof.  Is the XM80 the same story or is it comparable to the more accurate surplus ammo of yesteryear?  I don't need 1/4 MOA, but if it's 4-5MOA then it's not worth it, because TULAMMO or Wolf MC will do that...  As a secondary question, are the primers on this crimped or sealed?  If I do have the opportunity to retrieve some of this, how easy will it reload?

I've been shooting that to get reloading brass . Nice heavy brass & I have no problems with it , shoots  good also . Stuff I have been getting is in a white box ,like most gov. contract fodder .

Pretty much most of what is shot out of my 16" build with just MBUS . I refuse to put a scope on her.