• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

NOOB .. I repeat NOOB question...

thinking really hard about building out my FIRST rifle EVER ... and one question ... will I be able to fit a 22LR upper  ??? My daughter is 9 .. and I am hoping that this will do double duty  ...  she has a Crickett right now and LOVES it ... recently she fired a friends 22LR AR15 and really got stoked about firing a "big-kid" rifle ... plus ... makes it REALLY attractive to the wife when I can tell her it is a Daddy-daughter bonding time tool !

As Edge so eloquently put, the size difference between the AR15 receivers and the 308AR receiver is far too much to accept a simple upper swap.

That being said. I have always said, "where there is $$$ there is a way." unfortunately I think this venture might outweigh the value of the rifle. If I were attempting a build like this, I'd get a 308AR barrel chambered in .223 Rem, then I'd work on customizing a .22lr conversion kit to fit in the MUCH larger upper receiver. I could expect the end cost to be around $2k+... Just for the upper.

As Edge so eloquently put, the size difference between the AR15 receivers and the 308AR receiver is far too much to accept a simple upper swap.

That being said. I have always said, "where there is $$$ there is a way." unfortunately I think this venture might outweigh the value of the rifle. If I were attempting a build like this, I'd get a 308AR barrel chambered in .223 Rem, then I'd work on customizing a .22lr conversion kit to fit in the MUCH larger upper receiver. I could expect the end cost to be around $2k+... Just for the upper.

Robo' thank you for the answer ... for that price I will purchase her an AR of her own ... knowing her will want it in pink  :)

sorry, for my bluntness. I just hadn't thought of that angle,robo,  especially when you can do an ar15 and a 22lr upper for thait and still have the cash to buy 1000rds of .223 and 10000 rds of 22lr.

that being said, it would be nice if there were a conversion upper and drop in mag done by one of the manufacturers. It was a good question, i wasn't being sarcastic for once. ::)

Best money savings idea for a .30 cal AR...

1. Buy a Mega AR15 lower (here or here) from our local contact and master dealer Dave Branson.

2. Build a yourself a .300 Blackout upper assembly, with all the bells and whistles. Don't hold back, because this is Daddy's gun! This will give you a .30 cal, and the ammo is cheaper than factory .308 <thumbsup>

3. Buy your little girl an Armalite dedicated .22lr upper here

If you do decide to make her a "pink" gun, don't waste your money on something outrageous. Tapco has a simple set that you can easily install. The whole .22 AR can be built for about $600. HERE is the Tapco set