• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Smoke Cloud

GStephen

Last night  I had to shoot at a varmint in the back yard.  I had it loaded with Aguila super HP 22LR.  It was very dark with no moon.    I flipped on the flashlight and took a shot at 35-40 yds. The smoke cloud looked like a black powder gun in the light through the scope.  I couldn’t get a follow up shot because I couldn’t see for a few seconds.  I hadn’t noticed that before with the cci mini mag.   I will get some more and test it.

IMG_1738.thumb.jpeg.ac19a5a930f73c8c2b9ddc3a38cf683c.jpeg

Had the dogs going nuts the other night. I could tell by their bark they had something  cornered. They had an opossum cornered on the eve of the old garage. It showed up on the thermal scope just fine. 5.56 was a little overkill but the dogs shut up after I shot the opossum. The youngest Great Pyrenees was jumping almost high enough to reach the varmint.

I thought about moving my thermal from the ar10 to the ar22 but I like to have the 308 ready to go for coyotes that are common here.  I have a thermal monocular too, that I spot with and just use a light and a glass scope on the 22 for around the yard and small varmints.  Last week it was a skunk inside the barn.  Last night was an opossum by the chicken pen.  The weather was just right to not dissipate the cloud very quick for a follow up shot since I only crippled it with the first one.  After dark tonight I tried some cci and Aquila and there isn’t a noticeable difference.  There is a breeze tonight and last night was slightly foggy and zero wind.  

Figured out today that the vortex crossfire was not holding zero.   I put an old bushnell off my 10/22 on and it’s shooting great again.  I should not have needed a follow up shot if the scope hadn’t messed up.  I have not dropped the gun or handled rough.