• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

3D Printers and CNC Machines

Robocop1051

Anyone here have experience with these? Before a LE career, I had aspirations to finish my degree for engineering. A misguided lifestyle coerced me into dropping out of college two years early. Now (almost 15 years later), being so much older and wiser <laughs>, I am thinking of dabbling in this semi affordable venture.

I just have no clue where to start. <dontknow>

I've done quite a bit on CNC and manual machine tools, been priveledged to work on some real dandy projects.  That being said, except for some very unique contracts my employers were able to obtain, most of the job is loading parts and pushing buttons.

I've done quite a bit on the small manual machines, which I enjoy due to the challenge of set-up and not having access to the latest whiz-bang tooling.  People will tell you they are inaccurate and incapable sub-par machine tools.  To me these are very similar to the statements from shooters that feel they need a $5k rifle to hit a target a few hundred yards away, anything less turns them into an excuse factory.

A friend that just completed the local CC's CNC program and I were talking about the 3D printers.  For lack of a better analogy, the latest iterations basically squish out a hot polymer compound (sort of like a hot glue gun) over and over and over until it builds the part you need.  They are pretty cool to watch, if you can find a video of it building something.

Nevermind...

Pretty intricate stuff!  Probably won't be long before they have one that will squish out molten metal in any shape/form you want.

Jon

The technology already exists, they are using it to make very expensive and  large aircraft parts out of titanium. bypassing the expensive forging process. the material is deposited in a vacuum chamber so no contaminints are introduced. It doesn't presently turn out a close tolerance finished part, just makes it unnessecarry to make a forging first. If your interested there's an interesting article on the process in the current issue of modern machine shop. Its callaed ultrasonic additive manufacturing and you can get further info on it at mmsonline.com

On the other hand, the maintreaming of much of this technology, is making it possible for the home shop machinist to do things that were unimaginable a few years ago. You now can get inexpensive (relatively) 3 axis bench top cnc mills that, with the use of your PC, make it feasible for the motivated hobbyest to turn out pretty sophisticated small parts if he's so inclined.

Yup.

I follow a group called Miniature Machine Tools on Yahoo.  Most use desktop machines for crafting VERY detailed replicas of trains and ships.  Others are into watch and clock building, down to every gear and spring.

Check out Micro Proto dot com when you get a chance.

Jon