• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Another hitch in the build...

I finally got some time and money and decided to bite the bullet and buy a barrel nut wrench to finish assembly of my LR308. I bought the DPMS specific one from midway. When I got it, I went to torque down the barrel nut and guess what, It doesn't fit the barrel nut! It almost appears as if the barrel nut is too small for the wrench. I bought the nut from Apex along with my handguard. I sent them an email asking which wrench they suggest and they told me to get PRI's combo wrench that does AR-15s and AR-10s. I hopped on PRIs website and have found no such animal. WTF is going on?!

I have the PRI wrench that I bought to install a Larue rail, which is Armalite pattern, on a .308 upper (Kaiser) and was then supprised to find that it also fit the reg AR 15 barrel nut that Apex uses for their AR 15 handguards. It has pins on opposite sides so it fit's both. I'll see if I can find it to see if it's marked so I can tell you which it is, but you should be able to call PRI and ask which one it is, maybe the Armalite combo #03-0085C ? If i can find it and it's marked I'll post the part #.

OK, so I take a walk out to the shop, and within a minute, I found the PRI wrench sitting on the shelf, That would never happen if I were looking for it to install a barrel. I'd be searching for two hours before giving up and ordering a new one. Anyway, the wrench that I have in my hand has 5 pins located symmetrically on one side and is marked AR 10 on that side, and has 4 pins located asymmetrically on the other side. there are no other markings on the wrench, but the side with the 5 pins fits the AR 15 nut that I have on hand, so maybe the AR 10 and AR 15 nuts use the same wrench? It's my guess that the wrench I have on hand is the Armalite combo I listed above, I'd suggest that you contact PRI before ordering, just to verify that my info is accurate.  Hope thats of some help.

Thats how my Apex AR 15 ff tube is designed, I haven't installed an Apex .308 handguard. And as you say, if the PRI AR 10 wrench fits the AR 15 barrel nut I have, it would be logical to assume that an AR 15 barrel nut wrench should fit the AR 10 nut as well.

I'm guessing the PRI LR308 wrench would be for a DPMS type barrel nut. It sounds as though you need the PRI AR10 barrel nut wrench, which apparantly also fits AR 15 barrel nuts, Since you ordered it from Midway, can you exchange it with them for the AR 10 wrench?