• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Pull down powders for 308

Pappy1600

Just wondering if any of you guys are using any military pulldown powders for your 308 loads? I have been using WC844 for .223 and have been getting great results with both 55gr and 62gr bullets. Anyone using WC846 for your loads? I have been reading that you can use WC846 for both .223 and .308, any feedback on WC846?

Found this article on pulldown powders, some good info, worth the read.

http://www.223reloads.com/home/223-5-56-info/223-5-56-reloading/wc-846-loads

I order my powder from High-Tech, I know they have some in stock, recently picked up 4  8lb jugs of WC844 all the same lot, considering splitting the next order for 2 WC844 and 2 WC846 to try. What kind of numbers are you getting with 846 in 308 and 223? how is your grouping?

I been using the WC844 from Hi-Tech for 5.56 and that is the only powder I will use.  A little dirty, but for the price I can not and will not complain about the dirty rifle.  I just bought some WC 846 there also and will be reloading with that powder very soon.  Will let everyone know how it works.

Good shooting everyone!! 

I order my powder from High-Tech, I know they have some in stock, recently picked up 4  8lb jugs of WC844 all the same lot, considering splitting the next order for 2 WC844 and 2 WC846 to try. What kind of numbers are you getting with 846 in 308 and 223? how is your grouping?

Numbers , depends on what bullet . I just chron'ed a Barns 53 gr. TSX that I'm loading for Coyote hunting &

my avg. vol. was 3113 ,

es -28

& sd -10

with once fired LC brass & 24.5 grs. of WC 846.

COL was 2.200" per Barns spec's

bbl. 24 " ultra match HB by Olympic Arms in 5.56 chamber ,built ( by me )around 1980 or some where there abouts.

Groups have not been done a 100 yrds yet but by the looks of it , it should be 1/2" or better.

I need a Geiselle for this rifle for sure .

308 is sub 2" @ 200 yrds in my 20" HB & if I put her on sand bags , I know it will be better.

I use different loads for different brass , LC being a lower charge than commercial brass & my best groups have been with Remington brass . Not sure if its the brass or just a fluke .

I use from 38 grs to 40 grs. for the 168 match bullets .

You do know that these powders can be different from lot to lot & what I get with this lot may not be the same as what could be had from todays powders.

I'm on my last 8# jug of WC 846 & its about 17-20 years old & I just opened it .