• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Is it worth it???

Medic1

OK. I'm getting all the final details ready to order, checking in stock and prices etc., I'm looking at the two DPMS uppers, 308-FTT-EA1. that weighs 1.10 lb., And 308-FTT-LW1 that weighs 1lb flat and is about 40-60 $'s more. Heres the ? is that 1 tenth of a pound really worth it? Its gonna have a 16" barrel, light weight stock etc. Basicly all I want to know is it worth the extra dollars to get the light weight?

Thanks to all..

Only you can really answer that "?"

How light do you want your rifle? Are you willing to spend the money to make it as light as possible?

I doubt you'll even notice the extra ounce or two... Just be aware that if you make that same allowance 5 or 6 more times, you can quickly add up to a pound.

I remember a friend saying about carbon fiber motorcycle parts "It runs about $500-600 to shed a pound of weight." (many, many years ago)

If the cost is worth it to YOU then it is.

For a rifle I'm humping around all day, all week, yeah...it is worth it.  For something that powers itself?  Nope.

Jon

Yeah, but just as with a couple ounces adding up to a pound heavier gun if you don't pay attention while selecting parts for a gun build, on a motorcycle, a few pounds heavier here or there when choosing parts, adds up to a bike that handles and performs very differently. We're not talking about adding 20 lbs to your HD dresser, but if you switch out stock wheels for the lightest ones available a sport bike will handle better, brake in a shorter distance and accelerate faster. All depends what your intended use for the bike is, just like trying to build a lighter gun. If You have to carry it, along with pack and ammo all day every day. saving a pound with no reduction in durability is a very good thing, if your building something to shoot from a rest or bench, extra weight can actually help accuracy because of recoil reduction.