• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrel nut tool compatibility?

I just started a new build and came across an interesting problem.  My new barrel nut wrench doesn't fit my barrel nut!

I purchased the following 2 items in hopes that I could torque on a compatible nut to install a Troy MRF-308 on a new JD machine upper.  Apparently I was incorrect.  If the PRI wrench that's apparently designed for DPMS/KAC platforms doesn't fit, what does?  Or is it my barrel nut that's the issue?  Either way I'm stumped and I'm hoping there's a more clear answer out there! :)

PRECISION REFLEX, INC. - DPMS/KAC 308 Barrel Nut Torque Wrench

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/wrenches/dpms-kac-308-barrel-nut-torque-wrench-prod54765.aspx?psize=96

DPMS FIREARMS LLC - .308AR BARREL NUT

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrel-hardware/barrel-nuts/308ar-barrel-nut-prod44324.aspx?psize=96

- Mr. M

Waaaait a minute you mean the Troy MRF-308 includes a barrel nut? (I don't have my MRF yet as its still in transit) Though I was under the impression that it utilized the stock DPMS barrel nut to install.  This makes life a whole lot easier!  The only disadvantage I suppose is that I can't torque it to spec with my wrench.  Did you just crank it on with an length of pipe extended on the crescent wrench handle for more leverage?

If you ordered the MRF-308 for a DPMS, and paid extra for the barrel nut, you'll get it.  You can only use that barrel nut.  Better check what you ordered.

The MRF-308 will directly fit the stock AR-10 barrel nut.  Troy makes a AR-10-sized barrel nut with DPMS threads, for the DPMS upper receivers.

You don't need a length of pipe to put it on.  30~80lb/ft is the standard, and 30 ain't much - just put it on tight.  If you have to grunt the thing on there, that's overkill.

You'll get instructions with your rail.  That explains everything clearly.

• 8 years later...

I installed a quad rail on my panther arms DPMS AR-10 and need to torque the barrel nut now but can’t find any tool to fit the nut  mine has a regular style nut it doesn’t have a place for a regular AR wrench to go in to looks like you would have to use a regular style wrench end with a place to put a torque wrench into anyone know where I might get one of these ???