• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Viper PST 4-16x50FFP

Been awhile since I put out for a top-shelf scope.

Back when I was an FFL, I bought the original Leupold Long Range Tactical wholesale.  As happens so often with optics (and my purchases), scope technology started jumping by leaps and bounds.  Within a year Leupold had added Mil-dot reticles and reticle lighting (it was way, WAY fricken expensive!!).  I had a friend sell it at the Oklahoma Gun Show (2-stories, tens of thousands of tables) for $680.  My price had been just under $500 new.  Their current one that is comparable retails for about $1,500.

Leupold has nothing that has all the same features as the Viper PST above.  IMO Leupold's and Burris' optics are darker and not as clear as Nikon, Vortex, and others priced less.  Vortex has an unconditional warranty on the scope, fully transferrable to the next 15 owners.

I don't know if you guys remember how quickly scopes advanced in technology.  And this drive of leaps and bounds almost overnight was driven by the lower-end scope makers...Tasco, Simmons, Bushnell...because they could afford to crank out cheap scopes with new features.  Not unlike NcStar et al today.

One produced a scope with a slightly bigger objective...from like 30mm to 32mm.  Then someone did 33mm.  Then 35mm.  Then overnight everyone was touting their new 40mm objective lens scopes.  Anyone remember the "t.v. view" scopes?  <laughs>  Simultaneously they were working on reticles.  Leupold came out with the Duplex and patented it, so all the competition was getting creative with fancy sight pictures.

We live in the Golden Age of optics now.  You can get almost anything your heart desires or brain imagines, the rings to hold it, and the mounts to put it anywhere.

Jon

• 4 months later...

A friend of mine has  one and they are a nice scopes, they also come with brass shims to set your zero stop with. The glass quality is good and is a all around nice scope for the price of a FFP/ Lit reticle scope. Also Vortex customer service is top notch from various reviews that I have read.