• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

1st Build on a JD Machine set and have some questions - Thanks

lmt4me

I just purchased a JD Machine stripped upper & lower (which I believe is a DPMS compatible set) and am looking for some advice on my 1st build.  I’m looking for a 500 yd capable (1-2 inch groups) rifle.  BTW this is my 1st 308.

I’ve read that I can use a Noveske or Armalite as long as I use a Noveske or Armalite BCG and gas tube.  Please confirm this is correct. 

1) Are Noveske BCG compatible with an Armalite barrel and visa versa?

2) Does it matter what gas block I use as long as it has the right barrel diameter (I was thinking of using a JP Enterprise http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPGS-5B?

3) Any feedback on Rainier Arms UltraMatch barrels?

4) Any other barrel manufactures I should consider?

5) What barrel length should I get and what things should I take into account?

6) Can I use a standard 7 inch buffer and should I use a CAR-10 buffer and spring i.e. http://www.heavybuffers.com/ar10carbine.html

7) I assume I need a DPMS compatible lower parts kit.  Are there any differences between various manufactures?

8) I want a decent trigger - any recommendations?

9) Any recommendations on specialty tools other than punches, hammer, lower block, etc.  (i.e. upper receiver block, etc)?

10) I want to verify headspace - is all I need a go/no-go set of gauges?

11)  I was considering JP Enterprise rail system - any feedback or other suggestions?

Thanks Mark

• 2 weeks later...

You got $1500 to spend on barrel and BCG and gas system then I like what you are thinking. That's where I went to fill up my JD Machine .308 receiver set, JP Enterprises.

I don't have the Ultra Match but have heard nothing but good about it. Someone here will vouch for Ultra Match. I have JP Supermatch 16", this one is a pretty nice barrel.

I used JD Machine 14" handguard. I used the JP Enterprises low profile adjustable gas block. Depending on the length of handguard you choose you may need low profile gas block.

I used the JP Enterprises "E Z Trigger". This is an awesome (IMO) single stage fire control system and it comes with the safety mechanism in a complete kit. I don't like the name they gave it though, sounds gay.

EDIT: Don't expect 1-2" groups at 500 with any barrel. That is extremely unrealistic for any non professional, and most professionals, when using the absolute best equipment available. Maybe there is equipment that will do it, but can most humans? Sub 1" at 100 is very doable for you with the right ammo.

I dunno, maybe if you lock the thing up on a bench.

post-1757-136297287247_thumb.jpg

post-1757-136297287523_thumb.jpg