• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

awfully expensive bore brushes

I just went to order a couple nylon bore brushes from Midway, the brushes were only 3.98 apiece, all said and done my total was over 14.00,I promptly deleted my order I would rather give my hard earned dinero to a mom and pop and see the money stay in my town than give it to Larry Potterfield. >:(

• 4 months later...

I like the nylon brushes I got from midway they work well, very stiff.

Bore snake is good too, but I don't use mine much.  I don't like the idea of putting dirt back into the barrel if you do more than one pass.  I usually use a brush and jag, then if it's taking too long use the bore snake towards the end when the barrel is mostly clean.  Every time I run my bore snake though I get more crud out when I follow up with a jag.

OK,,,,,,I guess I'm the sole desenter on bore snakes.

it takes a while, but I have PERSONALLY seen crowns that had been damaged by dirty bore snakes.

Bore snakes are a variation of the old military bore cleaning kits.  and I'v seen a lot of old Winchesters with rifiling worn at the muzzle.

That being said, I do have a multiple jointed "rod" that rolls up that I carry, in case of falling and plugging the bbl.

Respectfully

Terry

How does the crown get damaged from the boresnake brother Terry?  I have both .308/.22 for 5.56 and 12 ga. don't use them very often though the 12 ga. works best because of the forcing cone instead of brush.The .22 in the 5.56 is so fukin tight I worry about the lead string breaking and have read that it has happened.

The wear occures because the bore snake is NEVER pulled straight through the bbl.1  Its always an angle of some kind.   I watched one guy at the rnge who, because the snake was so tight, was almost pulling at right angles to the bore.

Shotguns don't seem to matter, as the "crown" is not important as in rifles.

Try it, I dare you!!!!!   you almost CAN'T pull it straight.

Respectfully

Terry