• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

BCG question.... Need the experts

Brewster

So I have come to the point of deciding on a buffer and have way too many options. Without trying to name the brand the one I am looking at requires a non "solid" buffer. I've tried to research what this means however can't find any info on the matter. I assume the reason is because the buffer and spring are one unit and have a guide rod which needs to pass thru the bcg when cycling however I am way too uneducated in the subject and at this point unwilling to spend the money on a guess.... Basicslly what the heck is a solid bcg haha. Any opinions, answers, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys in advance.

So I have come to the point of deciding on a buffer and have way too many options. Without trying to name the brand the one I am looking at requires a non "solid" buffer. I've tried to research what this means however can't find any info on the matter. I assume the reason is because the buffer and spring are one unit and have a guide rod which needs to pass thru the bcg when cycling however I am way too uneducated in the subject and at this point unwilling to spend the money on a guess.... Basicslly what the heck is a solid bcg haha. Any opinions, answers, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys in advance.

For the best advice, lay it on us. We will need brand names so people with experience can chime in on what works in the real world, not just from the pages of magazines.  <thumbsup>

I'm guessing they want you to use a hydraulic buffer.

No problem just wasn't sure one the rules for this forum... So I'm looking at the JP silent capture spring/buffer I have a full mass black rain ordnance NB BCG. I've looked into hydraulic buffers and they are going to be plan b if this wont work. JP says their jpscs 10 was designed to work in conjunction with their lmos bcg but now has a spring pack so that it can be used on other BCGs and configurations. The problem is they also state that it will not work on a solid BCG.

Solid BCG?  Like a non semi auto version of the AR?  It works you will like it.  They recommend not putting in the buffer retainer detent I think this will reduce slap on the spring and make cleaning easier, however I can't count the number of times it has almost fallen out of my lower when I open the action.  Tempted to put the buffer retainer back in but not sure yet.

I was thinking about putting on in my other AR's but decided to hold off for now until I can put more rounds through the 308.  The normal buffers work fine too though. :)

Edited by Justintoxicated

The only thing I can think of is that they are talking about having a solid end piece instead of having it drilled out kinda like a weighted BCG but ya no idea what they mean just glad I'm not the only one who is puzzled by this