• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Need to choose a barrel for my DPMS 308 build

eightmd

Hi, new to this forum and just starting my first 308 build with an 80% DPMS (type) LR-308. Never done any ARs before but have done several AKs. I know they are quite different.

I'm getting all the parts to build this and now I need to make a decision on the barrel and how much to spend. The use is for target shooting but I don't want it to be too heavy. I don't shoot long distances but I would like to get out to 200 or 300 yards as I progress with it.

I was thinking an 18 or 20" barrel with a muzzle break. Any opinions on the length?

There seem to be a lot of manufacturers and the prices seem to range from ~$150 - $300+. I'm not sure of what makes one barrel that much better from another.

Most seem to be 1:11 twist but some are 1:10.

There are also some that come with gas blocks and some don't. If they don't come with a gas block I'm not sure if you have to drill the port?

As you can see I'm new to this so I'm looking for any useful information you want to share about barrel features, manufacturers, places to shop, or anything else to look out for. I've been getting the other parts from Midway and Brownells.
Thanks

BTW, what exactly are the differences between a Armalite AR-10 and DPMS LR-308? I heard the parts are not compatible but I'm assuming it is probably a small subset of the parts.

First, yes, there are differences and yes, you must stay with DPMS/SR25 style. Only 300 yards? (Not that that's a bad thing!) 16" barrel will cover you fine, they all come with a gas port already drilled, and yes, I highly recommend a brake!

I want to be able to hit the paper at 300 before I dream loonger. :-)

Get a barrel that will shoot well at 800 & it will be a tac driver at 300 . 

So many choices out there now for barrel makers. What length , I'm sure a longer barrel will most likely put out better groups with the right ammo .

A 16" will get the pill out there also, I have a 16" match HB on one of my AR 308's & I have never put a scope on her , so I can't say for sure how she would shoot at longer ranges ,but there's a lot out there, about some that don't have a problem with the short barrels at longer ranges.

You will pay more than $ 300 for a good match barrel . Just read the build & parts sections here , to get a bunch of info on what all are using .

AR 10 (the original AR 308 ) & the DPMS /SR25 have some differences in Receiver make up & proprietary parts . Better to stick with on type or the other , just keep things simple .