• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Has Red-X gone bad?

MaDuce

Hello folks. I wound up getting a Red-X upper for my .308 as you know I think even before I joined this board. I heard from other people on the board at the time that their experience with Red-X uppers has been good. On top of that, when I dealt with them they were very quick to respond to mi inquiries and got the product delivered right when they said they would, almost to the day. I eventually put up a positive video review on youtube. After shooting the gun, I found the gun to be very accurate and very reliable. Weak finish and heavy weight are the only complaints about the upper I have. However, more recently, as in the last year and a half or so I have been hearing nightmare stories about Red-X both in the quality of their products and in their customer service. Since all of my direct personal experience with Red-X Arms and their products have been good, I am having a hard time taking down my review despite of all the horror stories I am hearing as I am very careful about judging others, especially based on 2nd hand information. But I also know that many companies start out good and soon go south and it kinda sounds like this may be the case with Red-X. Any insight on the matter?

Hello folks. I wound up getting a Red-X upper for my .308 as you know I think even before I joined this board. I heard from other people on the board at the time that their experience with Red-X uppers has been good. On top of that, when I dealt with them they were very quick to respond to mi inquiries and got the product delivered right when they said they would, almost to the day. I eventually put up a positive video review on youtube. After shooting the gun, I found the gun to be very accurate and very reliable. Weak finish and heavy weight are the only complaints about the upper I have. However, more recently, as in the last year and a half or so I have been hearing nightmare stories about Red-X both in the quality of their products and in their customer service. Since all of my direct personal experience with Red-X Arms and their products have been good, I am having a hard time taking down my review despite of all the horror stories I am hearing as I am very careful about judging others, especially based on 2nd hand information. But I also know that many companies start out good and soon go south and it kinda sounds like this may be the case with Red-X. Any insight on the matter?

I can personally attest to the finish quality. I stumbled into an LGS last week to look around and see what 300AAC barrels they had. Among the barrels the LGS owner showed me was an SS 16" ball-mill fluted 300AAC barrel. I was very surprised to see that the finish quality was lacking. You could feel the poor machining quality just by handling the barrel. The edges of the ball-milled flutes were rough, which totally baffled me that something like that could have gotten by their QC. I'd give it a 3/10 but then again it was a relatively cheap barrel.

I think what happened with Red-x is similar to what happened with a lot of other gun companies. they overextended themselves during the crazy time after newtown last year. So they rushed products, lowering quality, plus ended up with huge backorders and didn't have the customer service personnel to stay in contact with customers enough to keep them happy while waiting.