• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR-10 Pattern Springs

FaRKle!

Hi Clint,

I was wondering what your thoughts on the Springco Red spring are. How does it compare to the Armalite springs you sell? These seem to be "buffer flavor of the month" for the MWS.

Here's the description:

“RED Spring” EXTRA Power Buffer Spring, Best option for 16"+ 5.56 barrels with carbine length gas system platforms with standard front sight towers and H buffers, 16" + BBL gas piston guns, *some* suppressed shorties,and later generation Colt LE6920's, 9mm, 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, .458 SOCOM, 450 Bushmaster, .500 Beowulf, and assorted "Thumpers" using standard 7" depth M4 extension tubes. AR-10 Carbines (E.G. Armalite, Noveske, LMT) using deeper extension tubes and standard length carbine buffers to accommodate the longer .308 BCG also use the "RED" Spring. Please call us to discuss successful historical "recipes" for implementation of the RED spring in .308, 6.8 SPC, etc. RIFLE length extension tube platforms. Color Coded RED. NOTE: NOT for use in .308 Carbines using standard 7" M4 extension tubes and short, stubby buffers. (Use our "ORANGE Spring" below for that specific 9+platform approach application.)

Edited by FaRKle!

I think this question would have been better asked in an email instead of in a public forum, so I'm not sure if you have an agenda. That being said, I'll try to answer - Hopefully without starting a shitstorm.

Until very recently Springco had virtually no interest in the .308 market whatsoever.  Now, with some slick marketing they are all the rage in some circles.  "Flavor of the month" probably has a different connotation for us 'seasoned' folks than it does for the younger crowd.

My experience is that the ArmaLite #EA1095 spring is the best spring available for .308 rifles and also works just as well in .308 ARs with 7.750" carbine buffer tubes.  Springco makes good products, and I'm not disparaging them.  But I have tested them side by side and I don't believe their 'red' spring is better than the ArmaLite spring for the applications that I'm concerned with.

Over the years I have been solicited by numerous manufacturers that wanted me to carry their products.  Some of those products were offered at substantially lower cost (and thus had much greater profit potential) than the springs I currently sell.  I choose my product line based on performance, not price, because my customers deserve the very best.  

Finally, sharing recipes is an activity that only old women should engage in.  >:D

I honestly don't think he's got an agenda with that, Clint.  Really, man.  I support your side of it, too, in reference to their interest in the 308 market - they had none.  Well, until now.

They make GREAT AR/M4 springs.  GREAT stuff.  Not just he action springs - the extractor springs as well.  For durability, they have that all sewn up. 

I wish they'd put the time into the 308 market that they did into the AR/M4 market - we'd see a great product from them for the 308s.  

I think this question would have been better asked in an email instead of in a public forum, so I'm not sure if you have an agenda. That being said, I'll try to answer - Hopefully without starting a shitstorm.

Until very recently Springco had virtually no interest in the .308 market whatsoever.  Now, with some slick marketing they are all the rage in some circles.  "Flavor of the month" probably has a different connotation for us 'seasoned' folks than it does for the younger crowd.

Thank you for your thoughts! I definitely don't have any agenda, but figured that other people here were probably wondering the technical merits of the Red spring vs. the Armalite one like I was. I don't buy small anecdotal samples of "This is the best thing ever!" and figured if anybody had taken a solid look at them it would've been you since you state that you carry products based upon performance.

"Flavor of the month" was referring to the back and forth people constantly do about what's the best way to optimize their buffer system. One day it's "use x buffer" and the next it's "use y spring instead!" Soon enough they come full circle and recommend "x buffer" again...

I find it fishy when Springco's page recommends their Red spring for Armalite pattern receiver extensions, but their customer service then tells a customer "Oh yeah, that Orange spring that you ordered for your Armalite pattern receiver extension, because somebody erroneously recommended it online, will work great too!"

Edited by FaRKle!