• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My Build, and Your Opinions.....

redneckmedic

I plan to finish this by early spring for load development, then to Wyoming on Pronghorn hunt.

My goal isn't stacking rounds on top of each other, that is what my bolt is for. However since this is a build I'm sure I can get good results with out breaking the bank.

What I have:

Upper/Lower: Mega-Ten

LPK: DPMS

Barrel: 20" .308 Chrome Moly Fluted (threaded)

To Buy:

Hand-guard: Undecided (Badger Ordnance) http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=751245

Grip: Falcon ERGO

Bolt: Undecided

Buffer: pneumatic buffer?

Stock: Magpul PRS

Rings: TPS Steel

Scope: Wotac 4-14x40 (already have one on my bolt and bolt trainer, I like it very much)

Bipod: Tango Down

Please tell me what experience you have with any of these parts. Or if you would go a different way.

Th

Please tell me what experience you have with any of these parts. Or if you would go a different way.

They are all really heavy! The PRS stock is over 2lbs. The buffer is almost a pound. Falcon grips are darn near the biggest grip you can get. If you are building a bench gun, then you succeeded. If you are humpin this stick around a mountain, you are in for a miserable afternoon. You can expect a near 20# rifle, fully loaded. You already have the barrel, so no need to get into that. I have never had a need for a bipod while hunting, other than prairie dogs. I have one on a 77/22 and on a .221 Fireball, but nothing larger than that.

If you're looking for a hunter, instead of a paper killer, I say cut weight where you wont miss it. A2 stock, standard buffer, low profile gas block, standard ergo grip, ditch the tango down bipod all together. A really good muzzle brake will consume the kick all that weight was hiding. Check out the JP or PRI brakes. The Badger Ord. handguard isn't the lightest, but it is one of my favorites. Also check out the VTAC's and maybe Apex CNC. I know the excitement of having the extra long handguard, but you can cut weight by having a carbine or mid length instead. The purpose of the extra long handguard was to protect the barrel against whacking obstacles in competition (and looking cool!!) Unless your style of hunting is a LOT more high-speed and aggressive than my style, you won't need all that handguard real estate.

Lastly, nothing I typed mean diddley-squat. It's your rifle, and you can say "Rob, shut your mouth. I'm building it however I want." I'm good with that option too. Whatever you decide... You must post copious pictures so we can all stare at your boom stick. It's the law.

Cheers <thumbsup>