• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Scope ring options

Hello brothers....I am just back from a lengthy overseas trip and have received most of my parts for my AR10 build.  As you are all aware, the cost adds up quickly, and I do need to invest in some home renovations and exterior work.  However I also need some optics. My other builds have Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40, Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40, Trijicon ACOG TSN, and Trijicon 3.5-10x56.  I did not want to blow past another grand for another optic but wanted something with a little more reach for this build.

I opted for the Vortex PST 6-24x50 due to pricing and pretty good reviews.  I am now looking for the proper rings.  I will be mounting to an Armalite AR10 flat top upper rail.  My question to the board, and to those knowledgeable with longer range shooting, I am better served getting a ring that mounts the center of the scope as close to the base as possible?  It would seem the closer the optical center is to the rifle bore center, the utility of the up and down MOA adjustments would be optimized.  Am I out in left field here and overthinking an issue, or is there merit to this?

My choices are (from optic center to base mount) 22.1mm, 24.64mm, 32mm, and 37.34mm.  The objective of the scope is 50mm....

Any help and experience is appreciated...

P2B

A lot of it will be dependent on your physiology. What is the level of your eye when you have an optimum cheek weld that you can repeat exactly the same for every shot? The key to distance shooting is to exactly repeat your shooting position, breathing, trigger let off, etc exactly the same on every shot and the scope position should be part of that. That is where experimentation on your part comes in. What has worked best on your other builds, as far as scope position and comfort? That is a good starting point. Adjustable cheek risers help, but the optimum scope height for an individual is part of that as well.

Personally I find my head is so big, that a low mount scope for me is very difficult to get a consistent comfortable cheek weld with. A mid height mount works best for me.

Edited by Sisco

I did not think about that aspect Sisco...but that makes a ton of sense!  I was concentrating on optimizing the utility of the scope when I should be thinking about the shooter as well!!

Most of my builds I use Larue QD mounts so the height is on the upper end of my options.  I tend to shoot very comfortably and consistenly with these setups.  This .308 and scope combo will be one of my farthest reaching setups (my 7mm Rem Mag is close), so I am asking these types of questions.  Thanks for the input...

Any other commentary is welcome!!

P2B

My choices are (from optic center to base mount) 22.1mm, 24.64mm, 32mm, and 37.34mm.  The objective of the scope is 50mm....

Which mounts are these? Are these one-piece mounts like LaRue/ADM/Bobro or separate rings?

Personally, I needed a bit lower mounts to be comfortable behind my .308 ARs. I had my Mk6 mounted in an LT104, but switched to an LT120 and am more comfortable. On my MWS I put my March-F in LT123 rings.

Since you already have other scopes mounted in LaRue mounts, test those out on your .308 and see if you're comfortable or if you need a lower mount.

Which mounts are these? Are these one-piece mounts like LaRue/ADM/Bobro or separate rings?

The mounts include low, medium, and high individual rings from Vortex, the Vortex QD mount, and Larue QD mounts LT158, 120 and 104......At the moment I am leaning toward the LT158 (I have a 104 on another build with a 56mm scope objective).

P2B