• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I need 80% of a complete upper

So, here I am, minding my own business and I get ambushed and end up with a 17" free float tube and adapter for a DPMS pattern 308 upper... without anything to put it on. So, I have decided that this is the perfect justification to put together or purchase another upper. My problem is I am having a devil of a time deciding what I want. On one hand, it would be nice to put together a top notch, long and heavy, super accuracy rig, but I am self aware enough to know that after the new car smell wore off, it would sit in the safe and never get shot until I got tired of it and sold it for a loss.

I have 16" and 20" DPMS 308's already that I use for 3 gun [and apparently the 20" might be service rifle legal, I am told] but they are both iron sighted guns. What I don't have is a scoped upper, something I could dabble in Tac Heavy Optics if I was of a mind. There's a ton of stuff for sale, even if I restrict myself to the classifieds, and that is my real problem, too many choices.

Requirements:
18" minimum barrel, 20" if I am going to use a Brake like JP or SJC.
Flat top upper, Prefer normal height rather than extended so I can use a 1pc mount.
I don't need a forward assist, and I am on the fence about the shell deflector.
Would prefer to have a complete bolt/carrier.

So, 308AR, help me make up my mind what I want. Do I want to build or buy and re-configure? It would be nice if I could buy a barrel [with block and tube], upper and bolt /BC all at once as a one stop shop [to avoid buying the wrong parts, etc] without having to buy a complete upper that I am immediately going to have to disassemble.

So, please, make recommendations, but tell me why I want what you are suggesting. I am looking for ideas, something to help me narrow my search.

Yup.  That's why I need an 18"+ barrel...  Right now it's somewhat of a one-off, although I believe my buddy [the manufacturer] is eventually going to start making them for sale.  [since this isn't an official product, I'm not sure what I am or am not supposed to say about it so I am going to err on the side of caution and say as little as possible, other than the length]

So, here I am, minding my own business and I get ambushed and end up with a 17" free float tube and adapter for a DPMS pattern 308 upper... without anything to put it on. So, I have decided that this is the perfect justification to put together or purchase another upper. My problem is I am having a devil of a time deciding what I want. On one hand, it would be nice to put together a top notch, long and heavy, super accuracy rig, but I am self aware enough to know that after the new car smell wore off, it would sit in the safe and never get shot until I got tired of it and sold it for a loss.

I have 16" and 20" DPMS 308's already that I use for 3 gun [and apparently the 20" might be service rifle legal, I am told] but they are both iron sighted guns. What I don't have is a scoped upper, something I could dabble in Tac Heavy Optics if I was of a mind. There's a ton of stuff for sale, even if I restrict myself to the classifieds, and that is my real problem, too many choices.

Requirements:

18" minimum barrel, 20" if I am going to use a Brake like JP or SJC.

Flat top upper, Prefer normal height rather than extended so I can use a 1pc mount.

I don't need a forward assist, and I am on the fence about the shell deflector.

Would prefer to have a complete bolt/carrier.

So, 308AR, help me make up my mind what I want. Do I want to build or buy and re-configure? It would be nice if I could buy a barrel [with block and tube], upper and bolt /BC all at once as a one stop shop [to avoid buying the wrong parts, etc] without having to buy a complete upper that I am immediately going to have to disassemble.

So, please, make recommendations, but tell me why I want what you are suggesting. I am looking for ideas, something to help me narrow my search.

perhaps off topic, but have you considered a .260 remingtion? some sites sell barrels with headspaced bolts. 

Well, I did say 18"+...  I don't think 20" would be out of line, but much more and we are adding weight without much benefit, since the longest I could shoot this at is 600 and that's only rarely.

As far as the .260 Rem, that looks like a cool cartridge, but I am scared to get into a cartridge that I don't already load for, given the current market for reloading supplies.  Plus, I don't think .260 is allowed in any heavy metal class, optics or irons..

Well, I did say 18"+...  I don't think 20" would be out of line, but much more and we are adding weight without much benefit, since the longest I could shoot this at is 600 and that's only rarely.

As far as the .260 Rem, that looks like a cool cartridge, but I am scared to get into a cartridge that I don't already load for, given the current market for reloading supplies.  Plus, I don't think .260 is allowed in any heavy metal class, optics or irons..

I do not know about the heavy metal class. Regarding supply's: I resize the .243 cartridge which is readily available, which is less expensive than the .260 cartridge. the 6.5mm bullets are also in goody supply. There are also a number of powders that give decent groups. You may want to check out Rainer, they may have something in the .308 that you are looking for. Good luck in your build