• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Fathers Day 2014

gnatshooter

Friends,

I had an excellent Fathers Day weekend. My son bought two boxes of .308 to fire in my DPMS LR-308T, and we shot em all up. It was a windy day, so we shot down by the creek, on account of there is less wind down there.

My son had a blast (pun) with the DPMS and compared it to the 7mm08 that he's used to for hunting bears. He liked the recoil from the DPMS (with Slash's heavy buffer) and said that he could feel that heavy buffer doing its job.

It seems he might become an AR-type convert. I'm trying to talk him into a build-from-scratch approach, and told him that you guys (and gals) would be willing to help.

One thing that I noticed during this ammo-burning exercise is that my arms aren't as steady as they were, back in the day. When I used an air rifle offhand to punch nickel-sized groups at 40 yards. This was back when I tossed around hay bales all summer, even though I was basically a skinny guy.

I'm wondering, are there special exercises a guy can do to help him hold still with offhand shooting? One discussion group mentioned that there was an actual book on the topic, but the link was busted.

Oh, and here is a pic of me, my son, and my mildly-modded LR-308 on an actual Fathers Day event. Click on the thumbnail to see how handsome we look while posing with a civilian battle rifle.

post-13893-0-20054200-1402874618_thumb.j

That makes for a good day when you can blow through ammo and feel good doing it!! I was able to shoot with two vets and a friend we absolutely shot our ass off for 5 hours!!

post-12857-0-44519200-1402973481_thumb.j. 17 lbs of brass !!!

Edited by sketch